Wai's 92gal (corner)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Very nice setup ! Love the sump/refugium very neat and tidy, wish the inside of my stand looked like that...lol

WaiWiliki

Thanks.... but you must know that it is pretty cluttered now. I'm one of the people who like a clean design and then put a mess next to it... Right now I have my chemicals, net, filter pads, etc.. under there so its quite a mess. My brain tells me to clean things before taking a picture of it... my little OCD...

addict

LOL!

I know a lot about OCD... it usually takes me about 6 months after rearranging my rockwork before I call it 'final'... I'm constantly moving stuff around so it looks just right... :D

Oh, and one other thing... WE NEED MORE COWBELL! :D

gawd I loved that skit. LOL. :thumbup:

WaiWiliki

Today I went and got me a banded goby for the tank at the LFS. This puts a total count on the tank of 3 percula clowns, a goby, and two cleaner shrimp. I've also been playing around with the PH and the return do rid of a film on the surface of the water. I really need another PH to do it right but since I'm at the end of my first power bar I don't want to do anything more; out of laziness. Anyhow, I believe I got a handle of the red slime and after a couple more water test in the next coming weeks I'll try to get a starter coral. Preferably one that will be alright until I get my MH/PC lights.

Is there anyone else that leaves their lights on until 11pm. I currently have the timer set to come on about 1-2 pm and off at 11pm. That way I can see the tank when I get home at night.

OH... I got a fever, and the only prescription is more COWBELL! I gotta have more cowbell baby!!! :D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I've also been playing around with the PH and the return do rid of a film on the surface of the water.

Hummm that's strange this is usually a problem with tanks with no sump, do you have turbulant flow near the surface ? How close is the overflow from the surface ?

Banded gobies are very cool I would consider getting a group but ideally they should be added at the same time.

WaiWiliki

I thought so also... its mainly in the front corners of the tank which doesn't get much surface action. The return I have about 2 inches below the surface because I was getting less bubbles that way. The Seico PH is pointing to the surface and doing pretty well but another PH would do the trick. It did see a thread somewhere where a dremel tool was used to open up the overflow. I'm thinking about it.

daveat

wai-i saw you were looking into one of the timer surge strips i help a friend of mine with his tanks (120,150,90) and we have had 8 coralife timers FAIL. they have sent us replacements quickly but so far i have not had good luck with them.. the latest problem is that the time starts changing. the actinics were supposed to come on 45min before halides and now the halides come on before the actinics!!!!

oh well thats my .02 on that subject

P.S. great looking tank!

WaiWiliki

wow.. thats good to know.... thanks... right now i have a computer power strip on there with some Home D.pot timers. i used to have the radio shacks which I really liked since I could set the timers from my bedroom alarm clock.

daveat said:
wai-i saw you were looking into one of the timer surge strips i help a friend of mine with his tanks (120,150,90) and we have had 8 coralife timers FAIL. they have sent us replacements quickly but so far i have not had good luck with them.. the latest problem is that the time starts changing. the actinics were supposed to come on 45min before halides and now the halides come on before the actinics!!!!

oh well thats my .02 on that subject

P.S. great looking tank!

WaiWiliki

Just wanted to update my tank as it progresses...

92gal_060306_sm.JPG

92gal_zoom_060306_sm.JPG

I'm still working on my camera skills and tonight I learned how to dim some of the brightness. Most of my pictures I took tonight were washed out with tons of light.

As you can see, I would like to almost double the height of the rock and start introducing some inverts. I might start with some mushrooms and other non-light criticals until I get the MH. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie97L

looks great!

as to the issues you've been having with slime and surface stuff... just my opinion, but i think you are severely underflowed. 92 gallons is a lot of water, and even with a nice big return pump like you have, having only one powerhead is going to leave a lot of dead spots in yiour tank. additionally, as you increase the load on your tank, having good surface agitation for oxygenation is going to become more key. i'd order up a few mj900s or 1200s... they are tiny, yes, but you can get them cheap online, and having some of them in there will work wonders... a bunch of mj1200s are still cheaper than most of the "big" powerheads. adding a loc-line flare nozzle to your return will help distribute the flow also. again just my opinion, it's looking great so far!

WaiWiliki

exactly.. thanks for the input... I just put in a order for a flare and one PH last night.. but I'll get another....

WaiWiliki

I just wanted to post an update on the refugium. The caulerpa seems to be growing really well and taking over the refugium. I'm not really concerned about it since the only inhabitants are snails.. oh.. and bristleworms as I just found out tonight. Not sure where they came from but it must have been from a LFS where I got the caulerpa. I know bristleworms are a topic on their own, whether the get rid of them or not. I'm thinking they could be OK down there but I'm sure they could end up in the piping and eventually in the main tank? There must be at least six I counted with the biggest being an inch long.

I also solved my red slime problem. My salinity was running on the high side and it seemed that the slime wasn't going away. That is until I found my wifey feeding the fish after I had already, and way too much. She was doing it "because they looked hungry". :) So, after a couple water changes and the over feeding issue things look better.

Attachments

• 5gal_refug_032306.JPG
    5gal_refug_032306.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 177

Craig Manoukian

Polycheates, bristleworms are very fine sand sifters and detrivores. They are excellent at aerating the sand bed. I have a very healthy sand bed in my 20 gallon, primarily do to the excellent maintenance crew of polycheates, Nassaurius snails, and fighting conch.