Vortech MP's Cracking RSM Tanks.........?

Tokalosh

Ok, so as you are all aware and if not I'd like to inform you that my second RSM 250 which is less than 6 months old cracked on me.

It cracked in the same spot the first one did and that was from the top right side across the corner, to the middle of the front of the tank.

Now when I showed RS the pics of the tank they did mention that the MP may have been the culprit but they could not be 100% positive.

PLEASE LET ME STRESS THAT THIS IS NOT SET IN STONE AS THERE HAS BEEN NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE OF THIS HAPPENING!!!

But I'd like to know from all of you RSM owners how long you have had your MP's running on your tanks either right or left hand side and whether for those of you who have had the misfortune to suffer cracked tanks, whether there was or had been an MP where the fault occurred?

Many Thanks

Tok

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Over a year in the same place, right side - I really doubt it's related...

I worry more about something like cleaning with a Magfloat & the thump it makes when trans versing the rounded corner, which I never do... or something related... much more than an MP powerhead

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
and the fact that it's only happening 1 in 1000 or more....

I was in a lfs & a 40 gallon breeder tank cracked right in front of me, I told the owner what happened, water seaping... she said, it happen from time to time ... I was like really :blueoh:

tnwillia

2 plus years on my 2 MP 40s with one on each side. I've never seen a crack on the left side, always right front corner.

The first 250 tank fail on here was tied to the magfloat doing corner cleaning but I can't remember who it was, late 2009 or 2010 time frame i think. I've been searching the web for several days now for any report tying a cracked tank to an Ecotech pump, I've not found one.

Willie McDaries

Ok, so as you are all aware and if not I'd like to inform you that my second RSM 250 which is less than 6 months old cracked on me.

It cracked in the same spot the first one did and that was from the top right side across the corner, to the middle of the front of the tank.

Now when I showed RS the pics of the tank they did mention that the MP may have been the culprit but they could not be 100% positive.

PLEASE LET ME STRESS THAT THIS IS NOT SET IN STONE AS THERE HAS BEEN NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE OF THIS HAPPENING!!!

But I'd like to know from all of you RSM owners how long you have had your MP's running on your tanks either right or left hand side and whether for those of you who have had the misfortune to suffer cracked tanks, whether there was or had been an MP where the fault occurred?

Many Thanks

Tok

I doubt very much it had anything to do with the Vortech pump,I don't know anything about the RSM tanks but if I had 2 to crack in the same exact spot the same way,I'd be looking at the stand for a slight imperfection on that side,some way it is adding undue stress to that side of the tank,make sure the top of your stand is perfectly smooth,flat and completely level...hope you figure it out

tnwillia

I did a search here for cracked RSM tanks and got 3. I'm sure there are a few more including mine that was reported in my tank thread instead of a spicific crack thread. The 250 link cracked just like mine, the crack looks identical.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/46023-disaster.html (130)

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/63467-cracked-rsm130.html (130)

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/59582-rsm-crystal-crack-warning.html (250)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If I were to guess & it's just a guess... some weakness is occurring in the manufacturing process in the rounded corner on a small number of tanks. If any brand of tank sold thousands & the owners of all the same brand were grouped on a forum, it may be similar results.... but that just my guess.... Red Sea is selling thousands of tanks...

What I can't figure out is the why it takes so long for the problem to show up... on some... be it a very small %

tnwillia

I agree Glenn, I think it's the right corner. We'll never really know, short of a MASS failure Red Sea is not going to put a lot of time into a tank series that they hope is soon to be replaced by the S series. Just my .02.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I still think Red Sea is committed to the 130D & the 250, one of the geniuses of the S series is growth path & increased market share...

I remembers my 1st swt (a RSM 130D) and thinking this is the right size AIO (all-in-one) to see if I can have success with a swt, then when I did, I wanted a bigger tank (RSM 250), now... the S series... drool
932.gif

Tokalosh

I still think Red Sea is committed to the 130D & the 250, one of the geniuses of the S series is growth path & increased market share...

I remembers my 1st swt (a RSM 130D) and thinking this is the right size AIO (all-in-one) to see if I can have success with a swt, then when I did, I wanted a bigger tank (RSM 250), now... the S series... drool
932.gif

My thoughts exactly, the 400 lets go for it, BUT hang on I chose the 250 for some really good reasons and because of those reasons I'm stinking to the 250.

1. It fits the space I live in!
2. Its an enclosed tank keeping out all the dust and nasty's out.
3. Looks cool and modern.
4. Has to offer everything you need in a SWT.

What more could you ask for?.................Just wish mine would stop cracking!

Tok

modulok

My MP40 is 5 inches from the top of the glass and 3 inches from the front right corner.

I would believe most of the Vortechs in RSM250 would be on the right side, due to the lower flow circulation pump.

Maybe a constant slight vibration is causing some to fail? But when it happens over night when the MP is on night mode it would be 50% slower. So I would think the vibrations would be at their lowest point then.

black2012

I don't think glass can develop stress fractures like metals and alloys, as it doesnt flex. I think it either breaks, or doesn't. In other words, it doesnt break over a long period of weakening.

But i could be wrong.

ho02ody

I've had two mp10's running on my 250 since the start, one on the left near the front and one on the right near the back,

I haven't had them more than 70% power and never in pulse mode, This won't happen until I can control them from my profilux.

Before I had this tank I had a Fluval Osaka 155 which in essence is the same design just a lot small with thinner glass, either 6 or 8 mm, I had one mp10 on that and it was in pulse mode at 100% near the top right. And it served me well for nearly 2 years with no issue.

The glass on the rsm250 is 0.5mm thicker than the recommended max glass thickness set by Vortech I don't see how an mp10 can be powerful enough to cause this, surely it vibrates no more than a normal power head, plus both sides sit on a rubber gasket which will dissipate 90% of the vibration if not those vortechs would be loud as hell!

Regards
Dan

Tokalosh

Some very interesting observations,

I think we should start a "RSM CRACKED TANK THREAD" to keep a record and hopefully some prevention tips.

What you all think?

Tok