Vortech MP20 90 Gal Tank

Reef Ghost

I really wanted the MP40 but my forehead was soaked with sweat and fingers shaking as I paid for the MP20, figured if it didn't work out I would put it in my Red Sea Max 130. It's rated for "up to 70gal", well it's in my 48" 90gal mix reef and it has no problem making a wave. I can only imagine what the MP40 would do. Maybe the 20 wont create the undertow the 40 would? It does look pretty sweet seeing a wave and the corals pulsing with it. Almost immediately the green hairy mushrooms puffed up like pillows. The night mode works great (10hrs at 50% of your setting then returns to 100%) and I suppose the fish need a little rest from the current. The only question now is just how reliable and just how long will the Vortech last? Time will tell! I was surprised just how large the powerhead is, it's larger than a Koralia #4 in diameter. I shut down all three Koralia powerheads (1 #4, 2 #3) and this single MP20 seems to be doing the job of all 3 in a 90gal tank and its near silent with all heat outside the tank. Right away any loose particles became suspended in the water column just as advertised. Now I just need to work on the MP40 so I can move this 20 to the RS130!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I have an MP20 I am going to put on my 90. See how well it does. If I don't like it, I will order the upgrade. The 20 is the same pump as the 40; it has a different controller, and they sell an upgrade for under $150 bucks, so if you don't like it on your 90, you can make it a 40.

Only about $20 difference between the MP40 and an MP20 and an upgrade.

I think I will be okay - I am setting up a lagoon environment, and so will not have the need for as much water movement. But we'll see

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
These things are great. Worth every penny, makes it simple to get the flow you want. And easy to anemone proof, which for me counts for a lot lol

Basile

Hi guys i got 2 mp 40 in my 65 gallons, and its great i don't do the wave thing it would go over the top, i'm not kidding. And it says on the manual be careful with this patern it may make your tank stress to the point of breaking. I use a gyre effect instead, well try to anyway and its pretty effective. I,ve payed with the positioning quite a bit and found the most effective was 1/3 down your tank is about right not to hight to create vortex and not too low to create undertow. at midway the undertow is awsome, all the sand moves from corners and waves throughout the bottom. The outside become real hot but it says up to 50 oC about 132 oF. The master pump directes the slave pump whatever the master pump do the slave pump does it too. I'm glad for this product, the head i find is actually less intrusive than full powerheads because the motor is outside and the heat stay there too. The pump was so strong it was pushing my stalactite away, i had to solidify it with putty.

Great product. At $ 500 a head ; i imagine the thing should last a bit lol.

Reef Ghost

So the first few days I ran this thing with the foam cover they supplied but it needs to be cleaned every couple days so I decided to try it without. The power increased by a min of 50% EASY. Tank went from a comfortable wave to borderline splashing over the edges in seconds. I had to back it off slightly, 'cause this is the way she will be running! Anyone out there on the fence about buying one, I would say go for it. Everything in the tank is pulsing with the wave and looks awesome!

Miltonic

I have a 30% off coupon at the lfs I go to waiting for me to use it so I may get an mp40 with it by the end of the month.

Zed

I have a 30 gal cube and I just got my mp 20. I like it but I cant make it do a way. Ive tried for a hour, but I cant seem to find the right setting to match the tank any idea's any one?

Reef Ghost

I have a 30 gal cube and I just got my mp 20. I like it but I cant make it do a way. Ive tried for a hour, but I cant seem to find the right setting to match the tank any idea's any one?

It literally takes less than 5 seconds to make a wave in my 90gal. I am using the "short pulse" which is BLUE. Maybe the directions have you screwed up? Put it on short pulse, set the speed of flow with the knob and press set, now adjust the pulse with the same knob and it has to be a fast short pulse, watch the wave build and when you have it the way you want it press n hold set till it flashes. I strongly suggest you set the night mode so the fish get a rest, ez directions for that if you look at the manual.

When you leave that mode and want to go back to it, just go back to short pulse and press set, then press it again and your saved wave will begin again.

Hope this helps!

Zed

Yea I got the whole control thing down. But I'm starting to think that the tank isnt long enough for a true wave to form. The tank is short but deep so the freq of the wave is hard to dial in. The waves that do form cant return before the new wave hits it and they cancel each other out for the most part. I can get a slight wave to form but its weak. The prob lies in the power. The more power the more curret is made. And with a short tank it makes the wave unstable after it levels out IE back current ect. Ive tried for hours last night playing with the power and the pulse ratio and can get like I said a small wave to form and really its more of the water racking back and for than it is a wave. So with all this being said I'm open for some more help.

Basile

Yea I got the whole control thing down. But I'm starting to think that the tank isnt long enough for a true wave to form. The tank is short but deep so the freq of the wave is hard to dial in. The waves that do form cant return before the new wave hits it and they cancel each other out for the most part. I can get a slight wave to form but its weak. The prob lies in the power. The more power the more curret is made. And with a short tank it makes the wave unstable after it levels out IE back current ect. Ive tried for hours last night playing with the power and the pulse ratio and can get like I said a small wave to form and really its more of the water racking back and for than it is a wave. So with all this being said I'm open for some more help.

If Your cube is square it wont happen, it needs a rectangle and works better in a shallow rectangle, still work ina deep one but not as much.

Reef Ghost

If I were you I would try making the wave in LONG pulse which is PURPLE before giving up on it! Nothing to lose right?

Zed

I would agree basile, I will take a video later of what I got this thing doing and post it.

Zed

I will try the long pulse again but I think a smaller tank will have a higher freq than a longer tank. I really think for a small cube the pulse isn't fast enough. And with my MP at full power and pulse the motor gets weaker just in the last bit of the knob. Don't worry I don't give up easy I will find a way to make a wave. And like I said in my other post I can get the water to rock and or sway from side to side. By this I mean the left side goes down right side goes up with the middle of the tank being the pivot point. I will also try a bunch of depth changes to the pump and see what that does. But thanks for the input so far and please keep it coming. I hope to hear some more input.