Voltmeter

rlcline76

What is everyone using?
I am going to have to grab one from the hardware store. I have a GFI tripping, need to see what is causing it. I am definitely not electrically savvy, I might just kill myself in the process...or become a genius...one of the two. I better make sure I get the right crap, though, one way or the other.

SJS

i dont have one - probably should but I really dont want to know! I think Elliott had one...

rlcline76

i dont have one - probably should but I really dont want to know! I think Elliott had one...

You are thinking ground probe. Naaaah, Elliott shocked the crap out of himself before figuring it out...don't you remember I wrote all about it on the Marine Depot review? lol

Maaaaan, those were the good old days.

Tomorrow morning, I am checking the outlet first. My dad, who does electrical crap from time to time, wants to check the wiring since the GFI is not tripping all of the time.

rlcline76

I have a tough time deciding where to put my money....lol

I just made my 3,000th post! I am now a manta ray!!!! Woo hoo!

I couldn't explain it very well so I loked it up...

GFCI circuit breakers perform two functions. If it is a true circuit breaker it will prevent "over-current" conditions from overheating the wiring of your home and hopefully minimize the potential for fire. All circuit breakers and fuses are designed to 'trip' or 'blow' when an over-current condition exists. GFCI circuits have an additional function. To prevent or minimize the potential for hazardous shocks, GFCI circuits compare the current that goes across the two wires that make up the hot and common voltage lines of an outlet. If the current on the two wires does not match precisely, the assumption is that current is being lost to something outside of the circuit. This condition is called a "ground fault". In simple terms, it means that there is high potential that YOU are grounded, as in standing in a puddle of water, and YOU have touched the "hot" side of the circuit or the device somehow allows current to go outside of the normal voltage path. A ground fault can exist if an outside outlet has become wet with rainwater, or an outside extension cord is laying in water or an appliance is in the process of failing and voltage leaks to the ground wire. But as already mentioned, it can also indicate that the GFCI has failed, although that doesn't often happen.

Look at your equipment and see of you can read the current rating (amps). Add all the devices that are on that breaker and see of they exceed 75% of the breaker rating. If so then split the load up to other breakers. If not, you have a ground fault. There is something that is sourcing current to ground that shouldn't. Probably something getting wet.
A volt meter isn't going to tell you much, just that there is voltage on the ground but not where it's coming from. That is going to take some investigations.
I should mention that if you have devices that are rated only in watts, that watts divided by volts equals amps. ie. 150 watt lamp would draw 150w/120v= 1.25 A (approximately, Line voltage varies somewhat)
Peace...
John

glampka

Mine was tripping from time to time - had too much plugged into it. Do the math & see where you're at.
Don't go frying yourself just yet. You may be owing me some money!!! :snshne:

Triggerjay

Oh, and if you want to check to see if you have voltage present in the water, pretty much any ole voltmeter will work... Mine is a Fluke brand,... but I have to have a good meter for my job... The one I have is about $300.. You can get cheap ones for the $10 to $20 range..

Jason

rlcline76

Yeah, I am thinking about dividing the electrical load.
Gary...you gotta wait until I get a hold of JV...could be awhile. Don't go counting your money just yet.