Vodka dosing and Hair algae

Lemonpeel

HELP!!! I'm having a killer outbreak of Hair algae in my 90 gallon. I have traced the cause to high nitrates and phosphates. I have cleaned out all my filters and have done multiple water changes but they don't want to go down.

I was reading about vodka dosing lowering nitrates and phosphates and was wondering if it would also help me with my hair algae if I was to get something that would feed on it as well, ex. tangs, belennies. I have a ton of hermit crabs and a bunch of nails, but they done seem interested in the stuff. I also have 2 dwarf angels that don't look twice at it.

I need to get it under control , but I'm not sure how I can. I'm almost ready to throw in the towel.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Run some GFO it cleared up all of my hair algae in my 90 within 5 days. I ran phosban along with water changes and to this day I have very little HA

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'd avoid buying a fish to get rid of it. They don't always eat what you'd like. If it's byropsis type of hair algae, not much will eat it period. I think Rob's advice would be a good start if you can manage it, possibly even a biopellet reactor. I've read several good things about vodka dosing and some bad outcomes too. I think if you're very meticulous it can be done with good success.

engineer goby

I dosed and was very meticulous with keeping a log measuring amounts dosed with a syringe and taking daily nitrate readings. I dosed for 3 months without seeing any visible results and no reduction in nitrates when I stopped however I had a large white hair algae outbreak.

Lemonpeel

I just started dosing today. I'm keeping a log and will be very careful of my levels and bacteria buildup. I realize that it can take many months to achieve the results I want and I am prepared for that. I cleaned out everything again yesterday and did a water change so I can start fresh.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would run GFO.
Any thought of removing some of the old rock and replacing it with new rock?

sk8rdn

fishguy4 said:
What actually is GFO?

Sorry im not really up to date on chemical stuff

Granular ferric oxide. Aka, rust. Bonds to phosphates and traps them.

....Insert Funny Signoff Here....

sk8rdn

and so putting that into the DT kills the algae? Thats cool :D

Technically, it removes the phosphates. Part of the food that the algae needs to eat. So, thereby the algae starves and dies.But this is only a helping hand. Good water management, proper lighting, and proper feeding regiment are still required.

fishguy4

ya thats very important. About 6 yrs ago i had a hair algae explosion and i had to dry all my live rock to kill it :(

I wish i had heard about these methods back then!

I Dose vodka to this day, and have Nitrates where I want them to be. Can change them at anytime by upping the dose for a few days. As far as removing phosphates, it does, but..... the bacteria eats those last, and does very little to combat hair algae. I'm with the Vote that you get some GFO or Bellets in there, that will clear you right up.

Lemonpeel

Can I just drop GFO in my sump to get rid of them? I also have some cheato in my sump but it seems to not be doing very well. Maybe because of such high levels?