Very noisy RSM250 skimmer

ZebbyD

Hi all

After much messing around I have finally got my RSM250 filled up and running. I was aware of noise issues with both RSM tanks (having had the 130D previous) but the noise from my RSM 250 skimmer is unreal! It sounds like a generator running my my front room.

The pump is the sicce 3.0 pump which I heard is meant to be quiet.

Skimmer has only been on for 1 day so will it get a lot quieter? If not, what can I replace it with. I'm tempted to run the 9002 as that was extremely quiet. The mrs will not have this noise and nor will I. It is extremely loud.

Scotty

hi - i had the same issue with my skimmer pump - it was noisy as hell and pretty unbearable when i first turned it on - i took it back to the LFS so they could check it out and get their opinion and it turns out the impeller was broken off:cursin:. i did a lot of searching on the net about the skimmer and their were several threads about broken impellers on the skimmer pumps. this could be your issue. Can you post a vid so we can hear what it sounds like?

when i got the replacement pump back and turned the skimmer back on i could nearly hear it and it works perfectly.

have a good look at the pump as it shouldn't sound like a generator

good luck

:wave:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Ask Kev or Avaid (not sure of your location) for help getting it sorted - my RSM 250 skimmer is much more quite than my 130D one (the RSM 250s have built in silencers, in the redesigned skimmer cups) - I am guessing as Scotty posted above ^ something is amiss

No noise issues here... all skimmer make noise, but as I said mine is much more quite than my 130D and by no means loud

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi all

After much messing around I have finally got my RSM250 filled up and running. I was aware of noise issues with both RSM tanks (having had the 130D previous) but the noise from my RSM 250 skimmer is unreal! It sounds like a generator running my my front room.

The pump is the sicce 3.0 pump which I heard is meant to be quiet.

Skimmer has only been on for 1 day so will it get a lot quieter? If not, what can I replace it with. I'm tempted to run the 9002 as that was extremely quiet. The mrs will not have this noise and nor will I. It is extremely loud.

Hi ZebbyD, Noise is always a difficult issue as it subjective, can you describe the noise, is it air rush, vibration etc ? if it is vibration ensure that the skimmer pump is fully seated into the skimmer body, also as already suggested check the impeller for any signs of damage or foreign bodies, also can you confirm the aquarium is salted.

Where are you located and can you let me know who the supplying retailer so I can point you towards the correct support.

ZebbyD

Hi all

Thanks for the advice.

Kev: Spoke to you earlier this week. Someone from another forum has given me another pump to go on whilst I get that one sent back to you. andrew.daviespr@googlemail.com was the email I used to email you.

All: Agree the noise issue is subjective. It doesn't sound like just bubbles though, sounds like a generator. I've just taken a video and going to upload. I've filmed from the hall way and into the kitchen to give you an idea of where you can hear it from. The sound difference between it running and then turned off is very noticeable.