UX Designers RSM 250 LED DIY

uxdesigner

UXDesigner's Red Sea Max 250

Current FTS - (5/23/2012)
0E1A8929.jpg

Inspired by the Aqua Illuminations (AI) Sol Blue modules. I decided to build my own retrofit into my existing Red Sea Max 250 hood.

Specs:
48 3 Watt Cree LED's

16 Cool White
20 Royal Blue
8 Blue
4 Neutral White
4 Meanwell Drivers running 12 LED's each
Dimmable on a blue and white channel

Package Arrives:
7BF1031A-orig.jpg

Wiring and layout specs complete. I will be building 2 of these 16 x 6 (24 LED) modules.
RSM_SolBlue_Wiring.png

Carefully gutted the hood. (Available for sale, PM if interested)
B4CAC16C-orig.jpg

Installed the horizontal aluminum brace that will be used for mounting the modules. (You can also see I upgraded the fans to the Silenx)
A39A7E1E-orig.jpg

Used connector bolts attached with epoxy to create the mounting hardware.
7851F92C-orig.jpg

LED's attached (Thermal Adhesive)
0CB307F1-orig.jpg

All wired up. Lit them up to test and damn these are bright!
CC88DF19-orig.jpg

Was able to fit the 4 Meanwell drivers in the hood and retain the stock LED moon lights.
6A9EA04C-orig.jpg

Installed the dimmer potentiometers under the timer lid (1 controls white, 1 controls blue). I really like the ability to mix the colors as well as slowly acclimate the tank.
70690C89-orig.jpg

Last edited:

uxdesigner

Shot of the hood without optics for now as I still have a few things to clean up but needed to get some light on my corals that have been deprived for 3 days
69179528-orig.jpg

All I can say is wow these things are bright! Really happy I decided to go LED, the shimmer is awesome!

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty neat install. Thanks for documenting and sharing. How long did it take from opening the box to completion?

Regards

Chris

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Beautiful tank & great led mod - well done !!! Thanks for sharing - looks great !!! Where did you buy everything from & what was the aprox. cost?

LOL, and I meant Microsoft. I have usually heard their design guys refer to their stuff as UX.
Too funny.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

uxdesigner

LOL, and I meant Microsoft. I have usually heard their design guys refer to their stuff as UX.
Too funny.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lol! I thought that is what you meant but was unsure since I don't run across to many reefers in the software design field. Yes, I am a (UX) User Experience Designer!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Great mod! I wish I had an extra $500 right now, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
What kind of light schedule are you going to run to adapt everything to the new lights?

uxdesigner

What kind of light schedule are you going to run to adapt everything to the new lights?

I've actually had these running for 9 months, I just finally got around to posting here. That said, I did slowly ramp them up over a months period but I currently run them full blast and the SPS love it! All my zoas & palys are under the purposely created shelf aquascape to protect them from the intense lighting.

Lighting Schedule

All Blues: 8 AM - 9 PM (13 hours total)
Whites: 12:00 PM - 5 PM ( 5 hours total)

I am about to install some LEDs in my tank... seeing everyones success with them has completely alleviated any worries I initially had.
Really nice work on the soldering and install!

bhazard

Awesome mod.

Now is a great time to get into leds. There are some very affordable options now, that provide as good or better lighting and growth than MH. I love my leds as well.

uxdesigner

Awesome mod.

Now is a great time to get into leds. There are some very affordable options now, that provide as good or better lighting and growth than MH. I love my leds as well.

Thanks! Im also a fan of LEDs and they are only getting better!