UV Sterilizer...

sailman

i know this has probably already been asked a thousand times..but here it goes again..

i need to get a UV sterilizer for my tank..

i need some recommendations... brand, make, model...i currently have a 90 gallon tank but would like to get a sterilizer for a bigger tank because im looking to upgrade next year and figure if i get a bigger sterilizer i will not have to upgrade that, however i also dont wanna go overboard.

i would also like suggestions on how to plumb it into my system. My tank is currently plumbed with flexible tubing for the drain and return. Currently running a Cap 2200 with a flow rate of 600 gph on my return pump, is this going to be enough flow to run a sterilizer or will i be looking to upgrade my pump as well? I am thinking of putting the sterilizer on the return line so that it sterilizes as it returns to the tank

i am looking at this one currently.. tell me what you think..
Aqua UV 25 Watt 3/4 inch W/ Wiper UV Sterilizer (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > UV Sterilizers > Units > 25 Watts )

i appreciate any help anyone can give!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Can I ask why you need one? Ive only ever had one for a fresh water tank and kinda wondered why you'd even what one. Steve

sailman

we would like to have to one to help prevent future outbreaks of ich in our tank and to help get rid of the ich in the water column... i know its not a cure all but it should help lessen the outbreaks

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
To kill ich you need a big sterilizer running at a slow flow rate,... I personally use a Emperor aquatics 40W on my 125 and I'm pushing 290GPH through it,.. that's about right for killing the nasties, but it's not what I use it for,.. my main goal is to break phosphate bonds between P04 and CA++ making it possible for bacteria to take up the P04 and have it skimmed out, for breaking down coral warfare chemicals so they can be easer skimmed out and for clarifying the water,.. It does a great job!

Whiskey

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
To kill ich you need a big sterilizer running at a slow flow rate,... I personally use a Emperor aquatics 40W on my 125 and I'm pushing 290GPH through it,.. that's about right for killing the nasties, but it's not what I use it for,.. my main goal is to break phosphate bonds between P04 and CA++ making it possible for bacteria to take up the P04 and have it skimmed out, for breaking down coral warfare chemicals so they can be easer skimmed out and for clarifying the water,.. It does a great job!

Whiskey

WOW! never knew that was possible, hmmm Linkman where are you??:contract:

DaveK

I rather have to agree with Sasquatch when the question, "Can I ask why you need one?"

Using UV to control parasites in a single tank is marginal at best. The UV will only kill the parasites that pass through it, and that's assuming you have an extremely powerful UV dose being given to them. The parasites that don't go through the UV are free to attack your fish.

In an LFS, it's a bit different. With a multitank system, powerfull UV can keep parasites from spreading between tanks.

My advise is, save your money on the UV, and put it toward a quarantine tank. If you currently have an ich problem, put all the fish in the QT tank and treat. If not, quarantine all new livestock 4 weeks before you add it to your main tank.

This is the only good way I know of to prevent ich.

sailman

Thanks for all your help, I think I'm going to get a 40w. How concered should I be about my return flow?

BoomerD

IMO, a quarantine tank is important enough to make room for somewhere. It doesn't have to be large, (a 20 gallon is usually enough) nor does it have to be fancy; some kind of filtration, a heater, and pieces of PVC for hiding places is all that's needed, although a light is good so you can see the fish and keep track of any infestations, but remember, you have to keep it cycled, OR keep some filtration cycled so you can set it up in a minute's notice.

Personally, I like a UV for a reef tank. No, it's not a cure-all, won't prevent ich infestation from un-quarantined fish, but it will help slow algae growth (as it kills algal spores that pass thru the filter) and will kill any parasites that pass thru as well. I consider them to be a valuable tool for a reef tank.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
To kill ich you need a big sterilizer running at a slow flow rate,... I personally use a Emperor aquatics 40W on my 125 and I'm pushing 290GPH through it,..that's about right for killing the nasties,

Really, could you explain that to me ? It takes 200,000 uW / sec/ Cm^2 to kill a paramecium and will take more than than that to kill ick. And you are nowhere near that, ;) A 500 GPH flow rate with a 64 W UV only puts out ~18,000 uW. The most you will get is 11,000 uW. Good for most bacteria.

my main goal is to break phosphate bonds between P04 and CA++ making it possible for bacteria to take up the P04 and have it skimmed out

I would like this explained also.

I pretty much agree here with sasquatch, Dave and my evil twin

lcstorc

The one thing I do know about UV is that you want low flow. I would not put it on the return. The water will move too fast to do any good.
Other than that. Listen to Boomer. :)

fishhead

The 25W I got said 1200 gph was fine. gonna shoot for ~700gph. you all say that's nut. to keep it around 300gph?