Urgent Phosphate help needed guys....

screemer

I am still battling algae issues, even with CPE and Purigen. Tonight we have lost our beloved Jawfish, Janet. Absolutely gutted. Done a few tests and the phosphates are at 0.36?? I have ordered some Seagel and Purigen, as i ran these for the 1st 12 months but until then, can i whack in some JBL PhosEx on its own to battle the Phosphates? Or does it need to go with something else? I spoke to my LFS last week about PhosEx and the RedSea NoPox, and they said to put a bag of Phosex in at first to get rid of the majority of Phosphates quickly but i am not sure if i need something else in with it? Cheers

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
New friend I'd water change. N I'd make it a hefty one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

steved13

PREMIUM
Sorry about the jawfish. Fish are not really affected by phosphate though?

You do want to get the phosphates down for your corals, and algae issues, but the jawfish demise was undoubtedly something else.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Without an autopsy Ya never know. I'd still do a water change to be safe.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

steved13

PREMIUM
Just it's natural time ???

Could be. Many stories of Jawfish digging in the wrong spot and being crushed, or injured. Could be an unknown predator. Any indications, symptoms, etc before she passed? Someone might have an idea with more info...if you have more. Most of the time it just remains a mystery without something obvious.

As long as everything else looks good, it's probably nothing to worry about.

+1 Water change never hurts and it will help with your phosphate issue.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear you lost your beloved Jawfish, Janet
1346.gif

Sometimes, we just never know, often it not something we did wrong.

BSJF are so very pretty, but not the most hardy fish to keep.

Wayne23uk

guess you have been to Oasis then i currently use seagel and nopox together nitrates at 0 and phosphates about 0.02 thats was what Oasis reccomended to me as nopox never kept my phosphates down

screemer

So Wyane, you use Seagel and Nopox to get the desired results? Did u just swap it out or gradually change to it?

Wayne23uk

my other media was due for a change so just changed both my carbon and the JBL phosphate remover for the seagel give me more room for flow only having one media in there than 2. Oasis told me to use JBL PhosEx and carbon with nopox but i prefer less media and a bit more flow in the back seems to be working at the mo also use chemi pure elite but in your case think i would start off with a big water change e.g 50% then start using them. How much food ect do you use to find the cause of phosphates will help you try and minimise it