Upside down jellyfish??!!

i saw these on reefscavengers.com they are soo sweet yo i wanna get one but its probably not a good idea. they say they are 1-2 inches, feed off of plankton and are photosynthetic and are reef safe! what do you think?
thanks,
nick

lcstorc

From what I have read, jelleyfish require a very specific setup. Maybe this one is different but I know they sell special tanks for them.

yea i wasnt plaaing on actually getting one, i just said i wanted one. i know they need all jellyfish set ups. they are so cool though.

lcstorc

Well it does look like a very complete system including lights, skimmer, pumps, plumbing etc. Still seems like a lot to me but if jelleyfish are your thing then go for it.

but like you could set up like a 200 gal. with LR and all your eqipment and more for that! what exactly makes that so freakin expensive??

michael_cb_125

The design of the tank is what makes them so expensive. They are round tanks, the tank itself is what dictates that circulation. Jellies need very complex tidal flow patterns to live. Our rectangular tanks can not achieve the flow required for these animals. They need stron yet very gentle current. Also as Lynn stated they are COMPLETE setups. I would love to have one but I have no room, and I like animals that you can interact with, such as a cute little BSJF>:)

reefjitsu

The upside down jellies are different from most other jellies. They do not need the specialized tanks that other jellies do. The upside down jellies live more like mobile corals. They are photosynthetic, and as the name implies, they spend their time upside down on the bottom. They look best when kept in groups and need a lagoon type setup. A species tank setup just for them would be best. They get to 6-10 inches in diameter, maybe bigger.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The upside down jellies are different from most other jellies. They do not need the specialized tanks that other jellies do. The upside down jellies live more like mobile corals. They are photosynthetic, and as the name implies, they spend their time upside down on the bottom. They look best when kept in groups and need a lagoon type setup. A species tank setup just for them would be best. They get to 6-10 inches in diameter, maybe bigger.

Good reply. I don't have one Myself but a local reefer has several in his large REEF tank. Very cool looking critters. He does nothing special at all and has had them maybe 9 - 10 months now. They move around some but also just sit and pulsate upside down on the bottom.Very different than "regular" jellyfish. The LFS always has a dozen or so available here locally for reefer's tanks.