upgraded lights for the 130/130d

does anyone know if a 250w mh light is too strong for the 34gallon (130/130d) models? Should I go for the 150w?

I found this used and was wondering if there have been any talks about it and whether its too much wattage for the tank . Odyssea Metal Halide System

The only problem is, i hate topping off and that would suck but the lighting would be cool.

reeferman

oh yeah,be weary of that fixture.i know in the past,they had problems with them catching fire!theres some people real happy with them but i would steer clear.lights are one of the things to not skimp on.you get what you pay for with Odyssea.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'll agree on the 250 w being too much on the 130 - just my opinion. I know some run that on a 130, but after switching away from my 150 W HQI/T5 fixture to a 6xT5 fixture my corals seem to be doing just as well, if not better, even with 100 W less light. Some of them just didn't seem to appreciate the extra wattage.

Ah thanks. Too much light is just as bad as too little. i found that fixture for like $70 used so i figured worth a shot at asking.

I'll agree on the 250 w being too much on the 130 - just my opinion. I know some run that on a 130, but after switching away from my 150 W HQI/T5 fixture to a 6xT5 fixture my corals seem to be doing just as well, if not better, even with 100 W less light. Some of them just didn't seem to appreciate the extra wattage.

Reefmack, could I just ask which 6xT5 fixture you are using, I guess this is open top then? Thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi James. I think the CoralVue hood is just recently released. It's not easy to find a 6xT5 hood in a 24 inch size to fit a 130 tank. I had a bit of a problem with the mounting brackets fitting over the stock hood mounts on the inside lip, but found a way around that without having to saw them off. This was my installation post:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/42209-reefmacks-rsm-130-a-195.html

Some additional pictures and info. at this site:

coralvue-led CV-T5LED246 Premium Aquatics

After 2 weeks I'm very happy with it so far, and running it on my controller lets me get a pretty nice sunrise - sunset sequence by having 2, then 4, then all 6 bulbs come on and off in the morning and evening.