upgrade alert ;)

chrome91

My parents said since ive never done drugs or smoked i get a free tank at their expense. they already gave me a car for not getting high til i was 18 but its paying off more:angel1:. Im taking my standard 55g down, 55g breeder down, 15g long, and 10g for a 150g. 55g's stock will be transferred and the 15g long and 10g are no biggie since they just have a couple of FW fish each. finally, i can get a blue hippo tang!

chrome91

lol, ive never wanted to drink or anything so it works for me. ive got all the equipment. a pair of halides and 2 power compact fixtures, aquamedic and coralife skimmer, and my 55g as a sump

Frankie

RS STAFF
Check out Woodstocks thread for some sump conversion ideas. She did an awesome job.

chrome91

a store here had a used glass 168g (36x36x30) with steel stand for $500, but the only place the tank can go is the basement because the rest of the house is hardwood and the basement doorway is 3" too slim. i got some quotes and big als is the cheapest, $519 for a 72x18x28 150g and $250 for a wood stand

BigJay

steel stands and salt water are scary to me. If you decide to go with the steel stand I'd at least get it powder coated. As far as the tank dimensions I like the look of cubes, but I'd check craigslist and see whats out there I think you could find a better deal possibly with some equipment to go with it.

chrome91

im going with a wood stand. im getting the tank from big als saturday. ive got all the equipment i need like halides and all. the cubes sick, but it wont fit in the doorway, its a few inches too fat to fit. i tried local ads and nothing, i got a reply for a guy selling a 180g acrylic but he wanted more than its worth new.

cracker

im going with a wood stand. im getting the tank from big als saturday. ive got all the equipment i need like halides and all. the cubes sick, but it wont fit in the doorway, its a few inches too fat to fit. i tried local ads and nothing, i got a reply for a guy selling a 180g acrylic but he wanted more than its worth new.

Take your time & keep looking. Tell your friends your looking for a tank. There are a lot of tanks around just sitting empty in garages & spare rooms.
Good Luck with your search!

chrome91

grabbing the 150g new from big als tomorrow. got rid of most of the tanks that are in the way and gave away the fish (just some freshwaters).

eventually im upgrading to 4x400w MH retros. what ticks me off is at the sale where i got the coralife light $330 for $70 they had a 72" 4x400w MH retro with box for $300 and that was before i knew i was going to upgrade. anyways, i'll make a chronicle of the tank when it gets set up which should be next saturday hopefully. what sucks is ive never bothered to get a RO machine and i just get it in jugs from a store 3 minutes from me. theyre gonna see alot of me when i come in 15 times to fill the 150g. it took 6 trips to fill my 55g breeder. tearing down my 2 55g reefs and transferring them wont be fun either, especially since the one has 230lbs of LR. the 55g breeder is in the way so i can transfer the little thats in it to my other 55g, get the 150g set up where the 55g breeder would be, then transfer it all over

cioutlaw

steel stands and salt water are scary to me. If you decide to go with the steel stand I'd at least get it powder coated.

Powder coating is a great idea & I would do the same for a steel stand in my home, although steel stands will hold up for many years with only paint if built right. I have built many, I have built them for an LFS displays that has salt & fresh & the fresh water stands are failing first after 15 years, ive replaced 4 out of 10 freshwater stands in the last 2 years. The salt stands are still in decent shape with just paint.

Adam Black

Powder coating is a great idea & I would do the same for a steel stand in my home, although steel stands will hold up for many years with only paint if built right. I have built many, I have built them for an LFS displays that has salt & fresh & the fresh water stands are failing first after 15 years, ive replaced 4 out of 10 freshwater stands in the last 2 years. The salt stands are still in decent shape with just paint.

Yeah I would be more afraid of a wood stand failing before a steel stand. OutLaw do you have any pics of your work? Or just a few details on how and what you used to make them? Thanks