Unknown Coral (to me at least)

Cougra

Can anyone help me ID this coral?

ag_06881.jpg

Unfortunately it's the only picture of it I was given and I have to admit I really dislike ID'ing corals, give me fish anytime!

charlesr1958

Thats what I was thinking, A gorgonian. But what ever it is, I want one too!...lol When it extends it polyps, what color are they? If white, then it is most likely azooxanthellate and would need high water flow and lots of food. Have never seen such large polyps on such relatively small stalks before, very interesting!

Chuck

mps9506

I suspect Anthogorgia sp. or Muricella sp.
Probably Anthogorga sp. but I'm not an expert at this, that's assuming that they are even in the order Gorgonacea, I might be entirely wrong :D

Cougra

I really wish I could answer any of your questions for you, however the person who took the photo knows absolutely nothing about corals and can't answer even the simplest question about it. He was surprised when I mentioned that the polyps weren't open so it would be very hard to ID. What you see in this photo is the only information we will be provided with!

Cougra

I think I found a picture of it in Eric Boremans "Aquarium Corals" book, page 156 of the hard cover version (I don't know if the page numbers are the same in the soft cover book, labels as "Unidentified Red Sea gorgonian". From the look of the picture it does look like the polyps are blue when they are opened not white.

mps9506

Ugh, I gotta buy another copy of Aquarium Corals, I loaned one out to one of my employees, and then she got fired before I got it back...

I still stick by Anthogorgia sp. :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
It looks to be very flexible. I have a feeling it is from deep darker waters. I really like it though a wonder how it would do in the darker areas in my tank. There it is again. the dark word. I have had something like this in the past i think.....

mps9506

Hmm, google didn't like me, it came up this time in addition to this:
Species: Anthogorgia

This is astrogorgia, I think astrogorgia has large withdrawn polyps:
Astrogorgia
POPPEIMAGES™

I don't think color is a good way to id these genera, you need to look at the structure. Again I really don't know much about anything in this order :D

caitrina

Thought thats what it was...Liveaquaria.com had one of those for sale a few months back as did one of the vendors on our site. They show it with the blue polyps open, of course.

kathywithbirds

Wow, beautiful. Saw a blueberry gorgonian in an LFS once, with polyps open. It was definitely blue, can't say what color the stalks were.

caitrina

MrCoral.com

So would the Blueberry sea fan and gorgonia be all in the same thing? They certainly look the same as a Gorg. I knew I saw something blueberry on one of the vendors sites and it was Mr. Coral

Frankie

RS STAFF
Why in the world did that not come up when I Google'd?

You need the golden Google button. Don't you have the golden Google button? ;)
Actually i use Altavista a lot. Don't know why. It seems faster maybe.

mps9506

You need the golden Google button. Don't you have the golden Google button? ;)
Actually i use Altavista a lot. Don't know why. It seems faster maybe.

I haven't used astalavista in ten years.... :)
Where is this so called google button??? I have Gmail, Google Earth, Picassa (google photos), google has taken over my internet with web based applications.
The only thing I refuse to is put google desktop on my computer. Heck my phone has Gmail on it...
And yet I have no golden button :D