Unidentified White Coral

urchinsmurchin

Does anyone know what this coral is? I can't remember it's name and I have looked and can't seem to find it online. I am sorry the pic is so bad my camera can be rather onary at times. I think has soemthing to do with it being smarter than I am. lol. There seems to be some algea starting to grow on this one so I may be posting more pictures to find how you guys would recommend treating this problem. I figure the first place to start is with a positive or at least a semi positive ID. Thanks for the help

mini-IMG_0897.jpg

Sapphire

A bit hard to tell from the picture but it looks like a euphyllia of some sort (liek an octospawn) to me......

urchinsmurchin

Yeah I don't think it is bleached as in stressed. The LFS I use is very reputable in the area and they would not have sold it to me if it were stressed. They told me what it was when I bought it... I just forgot. With so many different corals the names are all starting to become a blur. I agree it is probably a euphyllia of some sort I am just unsure of what type. It deffinately has the same shell like structure as my frogspawn only the tentacle thingy's (sorry have no clue what to call them) are much much smaller and white. Worse case I will just have to go back to the LFS and ask them. Which is fine by me because I love going to the LFS :snshne:

urchinsmurchin

Well please accept my apologies. I really did not think my LFS would knowingly sell me a coral that was in distress guess I was wrong. I went back to the LFS and asked about it and the guy pretty much admitted without admitting that it was in fact probably a bleached frogspawn. Needless to say it is dying/dead at this point and I am going to be a lot more carefull about stuff from the LFS. Here is another pic of it this one is clearer. I am also adding a pic of another frogspawn in the tank. The second pic is why I really did not realize the first guy was a frogspawn. The guy in the 2nd pic is HUGE!! When the tentacles come out they swell enormously. The little white guy's tentacles were never this large to be honest I had to get really close to him to even be able to tell his tentacles were more than just tiny bubble tips.
Thanks for the help guys!!

mini-IMG_0922.JPG

mini-IMG_0891.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! Yeah that first one is a "Goner" for sure.

All of the "Euphies" are prone to what's called "Brown Jelly Disease" which may or may NOT have been the "algae starting to grow" that you mentioned in your fist post. I do know (from first hand experience) that it's a VERY fact infection and if not treated from the very on-set it's hard to stop. It can also spread across a tank and affect seemingly healthy Euphie colonies.

lcstorc

Perfect example of a dying/dead euphie and a happy healthy euphie. The one that has been in your tank is a lot more happy than the one you had just bought. Good job.

urchinsmurchin

The algae I was referring to is the green on the shell. You can see it better in the picture I posted today. I am sad that I bought the white guy and actually I bought the happy guy after the not happy guy and believe it or not they cost the same thing. <sigh> Oh well lesson learned. I don't think I am going to be using the LFS that sold me the bleached frogspawn anymore. They seem to be having some difficulties at the moment and I can't afford to blow money on corals that shouldn't be sold in the first place. I appreciate all of your help.

sneaks03

Yeah I agree that not all FSGs are bad, but you do have to be careful. I know for a fact that my LFS is good as they refuse to sell fish or coral to someone without knowing your tank can handle it...i.e. they wont well any tang to anyone with a tank smaller than 75g or coral to someone with out the proper light's, and various other equipment. So if possible find another LFS or just push them back when they push you to buy something. I run quizes on anyone that trys to give me advice at a fish store, whether they realize it is a quiz or not. Sorry you were taken advantage of.