Under aquarium padding?

Choff

Reading a lot if conflicting info and wanted to get some thoughts from folks here.

125G glass aquarium will be going on a diy 3/4 plywood and 2x4 frame. I was going to place 2in foam egg crate under the tank.

Some say yes that it will even out minor imperfections in the stand, some say no that the padding will create pressure on the glass. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Padding under a glass tank isnt really needed. Some with bare bottom tanks use it to prevent extra light in the sump area, reducing algae growth. As far as structural stability, it isnt needed. The plywood will give it all the support it needs. Padding is primarily used under Acrylic tanks. They require full bottom support so gaps in the wood could cause problems. YOu are GTG with just a wood based frame.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I thought about the same thing and was advised that a 1/8 inch yoga type pad of I wanted Tobit it wasn't necessary at all. I've seen people use insulation type stuff and IMO that's looking for trouble.

DaveK

I would also add that the plywood must be flat, front to back and side to side. Check with a level. While a slight even slope will not cause an issue, one corner lower or higher than the others will cause long term problems, because the tank is then skewed and uneven pressure is on the seals.

landshark

I think it depend on personal preference, if it is a glass tank with a plastic frame then you don't have to but if it's a bare bottom then i would because I have never gotten a truly flat plywood. For Acrylic tanks i would say it's a must IMO.

CarlJ

2 inches sounds way too thick, but anything slightly thicker than any grooves or ridges left in the plywood should be perfect. It can also help dampen vibrations between the tank and stand, which could otherwise occasionally create those annoying 'echoes' that are oh so much fun to track down.