Ultra Rare DAMSEL!!

lcstorc

Many people are offended by many things. It is our responsibility to take into consideration everybody's sensibikities.
If NEKO is offended by the term then we should be considerate and not use it. I do know Boomer however and I am sure it was just a simple abbreviation and not meant to be offensive.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's fairly common to abbreviate the typed text and I'm positive no negative connotations were meant. Regardless if it offended we need to be sensitive as a group and try to be mindful.

Life is GOOD :)

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Neko
WHOA! what is with the Jap-Koi? Do you mean Japanese Koi? I find the term Jap highly offensive!

Try not to take something that is not meant and /or read into it. As others have stated it is just a abbreviation. I probably have more resepect for the Japanese "race" that probably any other. It is no different than posting Indo for Indopacific. I abberviate stuff all the time. Just like if I said a China-Koi instead of Chinese-Koi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neko Nation

are you seriously offened by jap? can't wait to see a pic of the damsel

Yes I am offended. Being called that off and on since my childhood and not being used in a complimentary way is insensitive and uncalled for. My parents lost everything they owned after they got out of internment after the war. There land, home and all of their possessions they had to leave were all taken. Not to mention the hate afterwards from people who carried on even though they were American citizens born in this country. So if you are trying to be funny then I feel sorry for you and your family.:confused:

lcstorc

Nobody is trying to offend. We have members from all across the globe and all are welcome here. We are the Sanctuary and everyone needs to remember that.
As Boomer said, it was simply and abbreviation and no negative connotation was intended.
I am sorry for the troubles your family went through due to their race. It is very sad how poorly people can treat one another.

BigJay

Are you talking about the Garabaldi Damsel. If so, there are reports of them attacking Surfers. :) "Orange Devils"
~Michael

First fish that ever bit me when scuba diving in Florida was a seargent major(damsel). Gotta respect a fish that will aggresively bite a diver. Bugger swam up and tagged my hand as soon as I hit the water. :surrender:

reefer4200

Yep,
That is it.
Hypsypops-rubicunda.jpg

GARIBALDI
Common in kelp forests of Southern California and the Pacific coast of the Baja peninsula. Up to 12 inches. State fish of California; illegal to capture or sell.​

althought that is a nice color it is not close to the one im talking about. i forgot to call and ask i will try to call tomorrow. And i agree that what boomer said should not taken offensively and clearly did not say it towards you in any way shape or form....

Neko Nation

althought that is a nice color it is not close to the one im talking about. i forgot to call and ask i will try to call tomorrow. And i agree that what boomer said should not taken offensively and clearly did not say it towards you in any way shape or form....

Did the one that you saw have bright little blue spots on it? If it did then it would have been a juvenile.

reefer4200

this was def. not a juvenile IMO. it was minimum 3"X2" id say...but thats an educated guess? sweet is all i can say.

lcstorc

I've seen the dark one with the bright blue spots. My LFS has those all the time and they are gorgeous.

stonedfish

Those Garibaldi get big quick. I catch them by accident all of the time fishing by my house. I think they are my state fish. Ive seen a couple at my LFS. Theyre not supposed to be there though.

tigerarmy90

does anyone know if the chromis agilis from hawaii are collected and distributed?

nevermind, just saw what they look like as adults :)

Snelly40

i am curious to find out about this fish!!!!

and lets keep this on topic and not go looking for things to complain about...
this is a fish site and no negatives were intended, we dont talk about race, religion, politics or anything on here other than fish and lets keep it like that

reefer4200

Ok so i found out that is a " Canary Island damsel" but i CANNOT find a picture online. When i go there if he still has it i promise to take a picture.