UK team builds robot fish to detect pollution

Frankie

RS STAFF
Story provided by Jeremy. Thanks! :)
medium.jpg

Robot fish developed by British scientists are to be released into the sea off north Spain to detect pollution.
If next year's trial of the first five robotic fish in the northern Spanish port of Gijon is successful, the team hopes they will be used in rivers, lakes and seas across the world.
The carp-shaped robots, costing 20,000 pounds ($29,000) apiece, mimic the movement of real fish and are equipped with chemical sensors to sniff out potentially hazardous pollutants, such as leaks from vessels or underwater pipelines.
They will transmit the information back to shore using Wi-Fi technology.
Unlike earlier robotic fish, which needed remote controls, they will be able to navigate independently without any human interaction.
For complete story:
UK team builds robot fish to detect pollution | Environment | Reuters

Frankie

RS STAFF
Personally I think it is a stupid idea. That thing is fish bait and will get eaten fast enough. What a waist of money.

yungreefer2410

i think its a good idea if tht computer controlling it is smart enough to sense danger and fast enough to escape which it prob isn't so i think it will last a few months

jjohnson3

I am a fan of technolegy so I'd have to say its a pretty good idea. Especially if it does find pollution. If it did find some, it could save millions of life forms under the surface and above the surface of the ocean.

PEMfish

I see no advantage over a few fixed place solar sensors, like weather buoys.
What are they using for a power source? batteries have limited lifes, how do they plan to get it back when it dies?

Jeremy0322

I just thought it was a cool little idea, it would be nice if they were much smaller, much cheaper, and could detect pollutants in my home aquarium :ponder2:

OK, not to mention the fact that many sea dwelling creatures are attracted to shiny metal objects. That thing is a goner for sure! I agree, why does it have to be a fish and be a realistic swimming one at that? That video showed in bashing into the wall over and over. I don't think the Brits had their thinking caps on all the way! RIP robot fish.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I just thought it was a cool little idea, it would be nice if they were much smaller, much cheaper, and could detect pollutants in my home aquarium :ponder2:
One day soon I am sure.
That thing is ingenious! I still say it would not last a day in the Atlantic though. I have caught some pretty large fish on less realistic looking lures then that.
Maybe they can install it with a deterrent signal to fend off fish~

PaulR

Who boy - I have to admit, the idea is kinda cool, but the implementation. Huh-

How are these things - the real ones that are 1.5meters long - going to be powered? Retrieved for maintenance? The questions go on and on...

And WiFi for communications to shore? They planning on staying with 30 meters of shore, and one the surface? Radio does NOT travel well through seawater. :)

-Paul