StevieT

RS Sponsor
Hummm, what could this be for?

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Someday like next week right?

lol I wish I would love to replace my RSM with this one. But it needs to put in a few months of hard work in the shop first. I prepaid it's labor so I will be slave driving it.

I can't believe how much bigger this one is than the 130, and heavier! The possibility for more corals and larger fish it is distracting from the goal of this tank

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Can you imagine that system with a sweet LED unit? Add a nice ProfiLux controller and you're Pimping!!

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Can you imagine that system with a sweet LED unit? Add a nice ProfiLux controller and you're Pimping!!

We think a like. What I miss most with my 130 is the hood. Keeping the hood on the 250 would be key and all the cool kids do led now.

N83259

I think I'd be in the market for an easy hood LED upgrade (hope that's not an oxymoron !) too, if that's what you're planning!

I can understand if you're not wanting to pre-announce what you're working on, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask...............

UNSOLICITED SUGGESTIONS/WISH LIST:I've always wondered why there is no media rack built for the RSM250 (hint hint). I've often wondered if clumping a bunch of media bags in the chamber together like socks in a box restricts flow, thereby making the medias much less effective. It sure would be nice to have something similar to your 130D procuct where every bag can have some space between them. Of course I have no idea if there's a real market for this beyond myself, or if it would actually give a RSM250 owner any real advantage.

I've had 2 fish jump or somehow get into the back chambers of the RSM250, with one fatality. A device like a net or screen that prevented that might be worthwhile too. I'd buy one and it would save me from making some clumsy DIY contraption.

You didn't ask for any suggestions but hoping you don't mind getting a few! Best of luck and all the success with your new products! - PAT

N83259

I can't believe how much bigger this one is than the 130, and heavier

No kidding. My seller didn't tell me what to expect so I was totally unprepared. It showed up on a snowy January day with just me & the FEDEX truck driver to move it. The tank & stand were shrink wrapped & it didn't occur to me to seperate them. He had no hydraulic lift on his tractor trailer. No dice. Luckily he was nice enough to come back at the end of the day when his other deliveries were completed, giving me enough time to round up a pick-up truck and some more muscle so we could slide it from his trailer directly into the PU truck. Having a loading dock is ideal!

StevieT

RS Sponsor
I appreciate any suggestions. I created products "easily" on the 130 because I had it set up and running and could watch it daily. Every tank that we have produced since we have gone off of suggestions or just gut feeling of what is needed.

The main reason for the tank is a media basket, and we do those very well. But I had no idea a fish saver was needed for the tank. We do make these for other tanks like the Biocube and they are extremely popular. Lighting.. well for right now that is something I stay away from for a few reasons, but you never know.

I already have a basket drawn up in my head. I am a little bummed out that water has to move from bottom up since I like it the other way. Water should hit filter floss first then move on to the media. This makes for an extremely clean rear chamber but red sea didn't allow for this. Water hits the skimmer first and is either pulled through media or just spit back out into the tank.

The basket shoudl be pretty slick. If you design it correctly it will restrict minimal flow and in this tank it really has no where else to go. When you do that correctly water is forced through the media and not just around it increasing it's effectiveness.

I am just staring at this tank and wanting so bad to set it up, it is so damn slick. I can see this as my next aquarium set up live just because I want more fish and more corals. But that is months down the road. For now it is going to get worked like a dog in testing.

N83259

Great Steve! You have a customer here waiting. I understand completely about the up flow issue. I have often wondered if too many bags won't allow the water to go thru the media effectively. I have recently been putting the first media bag inside the BIO BAG (used to be sold by Tetra but I think there's a new company selling them) brand filter bags (loose floss material, rectangular shape with one end open). This seems to trap some dirt and keeps the bags from collecting fine detrius to a degree. Kind of like a pre-filter. This product comes with a plastic "frame" to keep it rigid for other filter applications. I was thinking of modifying it for the RSM 250 with the idea of keeping the floss filter bag flat & the media inside flat so as much media is exposed to the flow as possible.

I was thinking to myself it would be slick if a media rack/meida bag combination like this was custom made for the filter chamber. The bag might have flexible, rubberized edges that fit very tightly, preventing water from escaping around the bags and forcing it thru the media. Just an idea - don't know if it would work outside of my imagination.

I'm very confident but yet not 100% sure that fish can get in the back chambers. In my case it was more of a disappearance but after looking at things I am pretty sure that's what happened. I think if you take a look with the hood closed somehow you'll see it's very possible.

N83259

One last idea/suggestion. Of course it may or may not be practical or have a big enough market. I was researching & thinking of installing a Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Reactor, running the plastic bio-pellets, to fine tune Nitrates & Phosphates. I'm reading really good reviews on it and it seems like the one-stop solution and best way to go to address both issues. And apparantly the bacteria produced really makes the skimmer come alive and feeds many inverts like feather dusters, coco worms & other inverts - a nice additional benefit & selling point.

To install this, I THINK I have to go without the two cooling fans in the left-rear, and run it thru that opening (I'm trying to avoid doing a sump). It seems easy enough to do but I really would prefer internal components instead of hanging stuff off the back and having water splash on the walls as I'm servicing the unit. So this got me thinking how nice it would be to have a small unit that fit in that chamber some how. Since there's minimal water lift needed, I'm sure a tiny Rio-like pump would be all that's needed, or maybe it could be driven by the left chamber pump? The TLF says it can handle 150 gallons, so an RSM250-specific unit could perhaps be one-half the size of that unit. And this imaginary unit would need a flow adjustment valve to optimize pellet tumbling. I know there's not a lot of room back there, but if this could be combined with a rack....oh how sweet!

If the above is a non-starter, how about fabricating another "accessory device" for the fan opening? If it could fit two pairs of in-out tubes, that would double the fun! Folks could run multiple media reactors, a canister filter for some heavy duty water polishing and all kinds of things!

Best wishes for success with your RSM 250 products!!

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Thanks for the ideas/feedback. The biggest thing that bothers me about their design is that detritus is caught last, meaning media bags can get clogged but it is what it is.

Are most using the stock skimmer
If you are using the stock skimmer how in the world do you get the cup off without lifting the entire body out of the water? Mine is tight which means they all are.
You have to unhook an air tube to get the skimmer cup off?!

No space by the intake to create a floss holder

ideas still flowing......