Typical waste rate for a Reverse Osmosis?

jian1

I got myself a Reverse Osmosis system on ebay for like $75 (No tank, only 4 tubes: sedimentary,carbon, RO, carbon in that order ), however there's something worries me as I measured the waste rate. Mine seems to be ridiculously low, the ratio is around 1.5 :1 (that's for every 1 filtered water produced, it wastes around 1.5 only), I measured by pulling the tubes directly from the outlets and both dump them into two measuring cups.

Isn't RO system supposed to be having a waste rate somewhere 3:1 ? the low rate worries me hella a lot. I haven't got myself a TDM yet, so I have no clue what PPM it may contains, is it normal to have 1.5:1 waste rate?

Then brand is Matterhorn, is it a good brand?

Do I have to get another DI (de-ionizer) filter to further reduce the PPM?

The RO system on ebay is as following:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280500949107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Damn, it worries me so greatly that maybe I shouldn't have gone cheap on RO... not to mention I suffer from OCB.

Thank you

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
seems the ebay store you bought it from does have a store front - might give them a call - I would be worried too... I believe 4 to 1 ratio is normal - here one of our RS sponsors that you can read up on all this from http://www.airwaterice.com/

Premier Water Systems

18354 3/4 Soledad Canyon Road

Santa Clarita CA 91387

Ph: 661.575.0033

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

tnwillia

+1^ average is 4 waste to 1 output. Your unit is also just an RO unit, no DI. The filters don't look like they can be replaced without replacing the complete cartridge.

As mine works, water going thru that fast 1.5 to 1, a unit would cost a fortune to get that good of a ratio, they are out there. Here is a simple TDS meter you can get to test your water. Good luck!

HM Digital Handheld TDS Meter w/ Thermometer