Turbo snails?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I ordered from Reefs2go. The photo they have of their mexican turbo's looks like that so I ordered some. Upon arrival and seeing that I had trochus snails, I looked again and they have two types of snails listed as turbo fluctuoso, one pictured like the one on liveaquaria which I ordered, and one that looks identical to the trochus ones. I ordered a couple of corals with them and they sent me a 2 headed duncan when in place of a single headed one so I'm not complaining too much. The purple sea fan and zoas I got from them are fine too. Live and learn. I will nicely let Reefs2go know about the issue.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Wrong snail.They are Astraea Conehead Snails.

Exactly right! They are the ones that have a hard time flipping themselves back over once upsidedown.

Engineer goby take a look?

However if given the choice, I prefer them over turbos. To me, turbos are a pain in the butt because they just won't change direction once they meet resitance. They much rather just keep pressing on tipping or moving anything in their way.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I finally got the real Mexican turbo from another source locally and they love to eat the stuff. Just make sure you get Mexicans and not zebra turbos. Zebras don't seem to eat it.

This is a photo of the Mexican turbos:

mexican-turbo-snails_zpsad2371dd.jpg

This is a zebra turbo:
large_9188_MDIzturbo_zps5d6447f8.jpg

Thanks! Yeah I went into my lfs about a month ago asking for Mexican turbo snails to eat the turf algae and they said they didn't have any but the Zebras are the same and will eat it! I hate lfs sometimes

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
They keep the lawn mowed. Occasionally, I'll have a tuft grow up and they'll take care of it. I usually keep about 3 medium size ones in my 65g. I have one zebra turbo in my refugium, still doesn't touch the stuff.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have 3 in my 65g and I have to supplement them with algae sheets....they keep all GHA wiped out.
null_zps9a4660b5.jpg
[/IMG]
An algae clip is like their DINNER BELL :D