Tunze osmolater

ausreef

just a quick question does anyone know if a Tunze osmolater will fit in the back of a 130 with a 9002 skimmer and media rack ,any pictures of installations?

Bobi1956

I had one in the back of my 250 until I added a sump and moved it there. If I'm not badly mistaken, I recall seeing pics in this forum of someone who had it in the rear chamber of their 130. I remember that both sensors were in the same part of the rear chamber - the low limit and high limit. Have you done a search in the forum for the Tunze Ozmolator ?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
This is an old picture. I had the Osmolator sensors in the back of my 130 till I went to a cabinet sump. At the time of this picture I was running a media basket and a 2-pump Euro-Reef skimmer, that left barely any room for the sensors. I had both mounted side by side, hanging on the back lip, just to the right of the heater chamber. I'm not sure how much room you have open to the left of the 9002 skimmer, but maybe this would work?

TonyV

I have the newer style Tunze with the Mag mounts and it fit perfectly with my inTank Media Rack, Chiller lines, and Euro Reef or Tunze Skimmer. I have since moved it to the sump.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
TonyV - the newer osmolators come with mag mounts on the sensors? If that's correct I'll have to see if I can get a set. The old style Tunze mounts are horrible in my opinion.

TonyV

Yes Terry. The mags are just like the ones on the skimmer. Nice and clean. You can order them from Roger at Tunze USA.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I went with the Tunze as it will adjust the water level much more precisely than the JBJ. As soon as the optical sensor is above water level the ATO pump refills. With the JBG the amount of water than can drop is larger. Not as critical now that I have the sensors in my cabinet sump, but to me it was more critical to have as constant a water level as possible in the back of the RSM (for the pumps and skimmer). Plus the Tunze has a high water level float shutoff that will shut off the pump and sound an alarm if the water level gets too high. The JBJ doesn't have that emergency switch, but I've heard that mounting the second JBJ float upside down may serve the same purpose.

I've have a new JBJ on the shelf in case the Tunze ever quits. In my cabinet sump a slightly greater water level tolerance isn't as important to me.

TonyV

+1 to what Terry said, plus it's optical as opposed to mechanical. It was also an all-in one solution as opposed to the JBJ which requires you to purchase a separate pump, and tubing/clamps. Another nice feature is that the Tunze has a pump that will shut down if your top off reservoir runs dry. I did the math (all parts required) and it was a wash to justify saving $20 on the JBJ knowing that it didn't have all the cool and convenient features as the Tunze.

ausreef

thanks guys,i didnt want to order one to find it wont fit,i have a fair bit of room between the skimmer and heater,i'll go for the magnetic one as well

ausreef

just fitted mine and works well,the new ones allow you to fit both sensors on one magnet or two magnets with one sensor on each,i opted for the one magnet as the distance between the sensors is all worked out for you,its just a case of sticking the magnet in the back(next to the heater)connecting up the wires and putting the pump in a bucket of RO water in the cabinet,highly recommended

willsy

Ausreef, I'm just in the process of buying a 130d and Tunze ATO. Can you tell me if you are using your stock hood? I want to fit the ATO in the back section and still close the lid.
Thanks
Will.

ausreef

yes its the stock hood but with a tunze 9002 skimmer and stevieT media rack,i put both sensors on 1 magnet and stuck it in between the skimmer and heater,the wires and water hose are through the back of the hood using the chiller pump cutout,the reservoir is a 2 gallon bucket in the cabinet,hope this helps!