Tubo Snails in the CUC?

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
I've been told that Turbo snails can damage corals and move the live-rock in new set-ups, has anyone had any problems with them?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Turbos can be bulldozers and will knock over coral frags that are not glued in place. I guess they could not over some rock if it was pretty unstable to start with but that seems like a stretch.

All in all turbos are good to have in reef aquariums since they can decimate some algae!

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Thanks for the quick reply. I might leave the turbo snails for a couple of months until things are a bit more matured anyway.
I haven't started to set my tank up yet, just getting everything together now. Lights, pumps, skimmer, etc. are on their way.
Crushed coral sand and RO water to follow next week when I get a bit more cash together.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You can always start a reef chronicle now telling everyone what your plans are!! :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think the Mexican Turbos get a bad rap for all the good they do. They might accidentally knock over unglued coral frags while they are simply eating the algae off of them. If there isn't enough algae in the tank, it's a good idea to place an seaweed clip on the bottom of the tank for them to eat. Don't add too many...They eat LOTS!
Seaweed Sheets in my tank are a dinner bell for them:

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
I'm still finding my way around the website. I only joined yesterday after weeks of researching reef tanks.
I will keep posting my progress for anyone who wants to keep me on the right track.
I already wish I'd joined earlier. It seems to be a very friendly group on here without the belittling that you find on some sites.
Congratulations on your new appointment as a Premium Moderator goma.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks!! One of the goals of Reef Sanctuary is to be a friendly, inviting forum that people can ask any types of questions and not have to worry about someone belittling them! So you've come to the right place!!

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
My intention of using a crushed coral bed is so the good bacteria will be easier for my CUC to get to, rather than using a fine sand that could get more compacted and bury the good bacteria.
What's your thoughts???

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Thanks for the tip and the link. I have just checked and it is available here in the UK with quite a few suppliers at around £25.00 / 5kg.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The looks of crushed coral (IMO) is not a pretty sight. There are snails that can keep your sand bed from getting compact. Read what you can about different types of snails at liveaquaria.com http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=497+526
The CaribSea Special Grade Seaflor sand is a really good choice...not too fine & not to course.
Lots of added benefits for using is as your substrate.
Hope you link your tank thread to your name at the left....easier to follow your build :thumbup:

Oxylebius

I wouldn't recommend buying the dried nori sheets in grocery stores, sometimes there are additives/spices added to them (depending on the brand). Which are great for our enjoyment of them, but not so much for the fish. I recommend sticking to the brands offered specifically for fish found in lfs and online fish outfits.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Mr.Reeefer

Hi mate and welcome to RS and reef keeping, your doing your research which is always good!!!

Good luck and have fun mate :thumber:

Waya

I have had turbos for years and never had a problem. Just make sure things are buttoned down so they don't knock it over.