**~~TOTW- Water Circulation~~**

Maxx

400 gph in your refugium? Doesn't that negate the purpose of a refugium?
A refugium is by definition a refuge for creatures/organisms which would ordinarliy be preyed up in the main tank, or wouldnt be able to compete w/ faster swimming more aggressive tankmates. An example of this would be Seahorses in a refugium plumbed to an Acro reef, or a harlequin shrimp pair in a refugium connected to a reef. The term has been adopted by aquarists to refer to any smaller aquarium that houses macro algae for the purposes of nutrient export and the pods that make the macro their home. For the purposes of nutrient uptake, yes 400 GPh is less effective on a smaller tank. But Web2000 didnt mention how large his refugium was. If he's running 400 gph thru a 100 gallon tank, thats not too much at all. If he's runnning 400 gph thru a 5 1/2 gallon refugium, thats a bit excessive IMO.
Nick

Web2000

My refuge is 60 gallons. I was told 4 X the volume of the viewable tank is good for a refuge that size. Is that wrong?

Bill

Maxx

No not wrong....
If your refuge is holding a full 60 gallons than your turning it over approx 6 1/2 times an hour. If your refugiums purpose is to export nutrients thru macro algae growth..than you might be going to fast w/ it....but your tank will tell you if thats the case...just like Cos said in his previous post about the Monti w/ some algae growing near it....If nothing is wrong...don't try and fix it.
however if your seeing algae growth in the main tank that you don't want (nuisance algae) tehn you might try to slow that down to half the flow you currently have in the refugium. That will give the macro algae more time to absorb nutirents like phosphate etc from the water column....
Nick

Curtswearing

Originally posted by Maxx
A refugium is by definition a refuge for creatures/organisms which would ordinarliy be preyed up in the main tank, or wouldnt be able to compete w/ faster swimming more aggressive tankmates. An example of this would be Seahorses in a refugium plumbed to an Acro reef, or a harlequin shrimp pair in a refugium connected to a reef. The term has been adopted by aquarists to refer to any smaller aquarium that houses macro algae for the purposes of nutrient export and the pods that make the macro their home.

Thanks for the explanation Maxx.

I see the word refugium used to describe a place to store macroalgae often. They can be used for this but it doesn't mean it has to be used in this manner.

EdgeKrusher

Cuz this is a HOB idea. I have one intake, and two outputs. Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong, that's why I'm asking. LOL I wish I had a scanner, you all might understand then. :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

Maxx

Cuz this is a HOB idea. I have one intake, and two outputs. Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong, that's why I'm asking. LOL I wish I had a scanner, you all might understand then.
okay...I dont really know what way you've got scoped out...but I just made a rough sketch of one and came up w/ only 7 90's and 1 T-split. I'll make a rough paint sketch here shortly. Can you get the image or diagram sketched out on the computer at all? I figured out paint, I didnt even know I had it, came standard w/ windows xp I think....look in your start menu, go to all programs, then go to accessories, it was in there for me....ya might have it.
Nick

TDEVIL

thanks

i am going to get a mag 12 pump and a SCWD for a CL with eductors (?)
thanks guys for your help

and giving this thread a bump:D

TD

SunnyX

Is my water circulation sufficient?

- 4 Aquarclear 402's 270gl/hr each
- 1 Aquaclear 802 400gl/hr
- 1 MAG 3 on skimmer 350gl/hr
Total- 1830 gl/hr

All on my 120gl(4x2x2)

danny254

Sunny, that is probably sufficient as far as water turnover goes, but it really depends on what type of corals you have. For instance, something from 40 ft deep, probably wont appreciate a powerhead blasting directly at it, but some tidal creature (ex. Most acropora sp, zoanthids)would probably be fine with it.

Scooterman

Sunny, your skimmer turnover is internal to the skimmer but it is oxygenating the water, so I'm not sure if that can be considered part of your total turnover rate, good question I'd like to get a better answer to... I'd also like to know if having steel hose clamps under your salt water if that would be problematic, I've seen Craig do it and have to wonder about that.

Gumby

Hey all,

i have a 75g tank with a mag7 running from the floor 4 feet to a scwd. How much is my water flow? I originally figured it to be about 700gph, but after reading this, i may be way off.

from the pump, i have a ball valve to flex hose that does a 1/2 loop to remove the 90deg turns then up to the scwd (about 6" from the top of the tank) to the outlets to the tank.

i have one other power head and i think it moves water at 350gph.

so i guess my questions are:

what is my true water flow from my mag7?

and what is the turnover in the tank?

BTW - i have only 1 coral in the tank (green ricordia).

Maxx

run the calculator found in the link on page three of this thread. That will figure out your mags water flow/velocity. Add the answer to your powerheads flowrate, and there you go. Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but thats really all you need to do.
Nick

tankgirl

On the eductors; if they were set up at the jets in the tank, wouldn't they help contribute to chaotic flow, since they draw in water from the sides?

Also, are the Turbelle Streams worth the extra money (compared to regular ph's)?

Maxx

Originally posted by tankgirl
On the eductors; if they were set up at the jets in the tank, wouldn't they help contribute to chaotic flow, since they draw in water from the sides?

Also, are the Turbelle Streams worth the extra money (compared to regular ph's)?
Actually, I think they contribute more by the massive flow they generate more than the pull from the sides. As far as the Tunze streams go. I've seen an aquarium w/ one in place...impressive. Kinda makes me wish they had 'em for tank my size, (58 gallon 36 inches long). I've heard nothing but good things about them and Tunze in general.

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by Scooterman
I'd also like to know if having steel hose clamps under your salt water if that would be problematic, I've seen Craig do it and have to wonder about that.

Am using those metal clamps only to test. Will use plastic clamps/ties on either end of the pump ouflow and the skimmer intake with a plastic quick release coupling in the middle to make it easier to access for cleaning/maintenance.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Craig Manoukian

Originally posted by Scooterman
Sunny, your skimmer turnover is internal to the skimmer but it is oxygenating the water, so I'm not sure if that can be considered part of your total turnover rate, good question I'd like to get a better answer to...

I count skimmer flow fractionally. For example I figure that my aspirated water flow is half what the pump rating is. So mty Seaclone 150 I figure about 75 gallons per hour, or a turn over of 1 on my 80 gallon on a per hour basis.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Scooterman

Originally posted by tankgirl

Your Avaitor is just you TG! Your now Tank WoMan!
:p

Ok seriously, on the Eductor side I hear and read conflicting information about them. I've read where it takes on heck of a pump to make them work effectively, also they produce a heavy stream, very harsh, so these would statically used with counter acting flow devices. I think this needs to be discussed thoroughly. I almost spent $23 on one to try out but backed off, Now I'm rethinking my entire system because of ORP!
hehe, ok, because I've been reading my BeHookey, Like you and the rest of us, sharing all this information and studies. I think Eventually with adjustments I will develop one awesome Reef one day. I'm also planning on moving hopefully into a bigger home sometimes between now and after my honeymoon(which is dampening my spending money hehe)! Once I move, I want to tear down one room and dedicate it to a back end of a reef. OOps , going off subject here sorry again! The Stream pumps your talking about produces a wave motion, high volume, low pressure, opposite of an eductor, so they too serve well but could be replaced with a CLS, programmable actuating ball valve that switches ever so often. Being a designer in the Oilfield, Plumbing (Piping) is very crucial, we get to test and use some of the best equipment ever developed. Right now, I'm working with a programmer to write me a program for my PLC(Programmable Logic Controller) on a project I'm working on but thinking this would go well in the tank, I find any equipment other than pet equipment is generally better, including commercial grade equipment. Expensive but you pay for them only once and they will out perform them all in the pet world. Ok, NEXT.......

Craig, thanks for the information, I'd like to know more about your Quick-connects, can you post a link?

Last edited:

Maxx

Scott,
Ya gonna share some of that wonderful job related stuff w/ us???
Not like give us stuff, just tell us who the manufacturer is and why you want their product? We have ways of making you talk....:eek:
:D
Nick

Scooterman

I will Maxx, if I see something that cam be purchased that is better, I'll be happy to post it. Now Like the PLC, unless your a programmer, or have access to one, although it would be awesome to have, useless without the program. These things can give you physical control over the entire system, even remotly, if you were to automate it but I must warn you, doing this won't be cheap, not like going out to buy a LFS controller.