Total Nitrate vs. N03

kkcdad

I've been testing my nitrates with a Salifert test kit and all has been fine. Recently I
purchased the API Reef master kit, and when I tested my nitrates they were much higher. API states that they test for total nitrates while Salifert tests for N03. API says there kits will be 4.4 times higher than N03 test kits which is fine. What I'm confused about is do I want API's total nitrate in my tank low, or Salifert's N03 in my tank low? Why the different tests? So confusing:waa:. Thanks for any help.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Two units are used to measure nitrates: nitrate (NO3-) and nitrate nitrogen (NO3-N or just N). The ratio is:

1 ppm NO3-N = 4.4 ppm NO3-.

I guess in theory the api kit is superior as it gives you a more accurate reading, lower levels are hard to achieve but the kit showing a higher number gives you a more readily seen improvement if you try reduction, kind of like why most P04 kits are useless

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
NO3 vs NO3-N

I guess in theory the api kit is superior as it gives you a more accurate reading

Nope they both give the same reading / say. It is like saying is it 77 F out side or 25 C outside or something that is 2.5 cm long is not more accurate than something that is 1 inch long, they are both the same length. There is NO such thing as Total Nitrate, it is Nitrate or Nitrate-Nitrogen. In this hobby when we give Nitrate readings it is as Nitrate (NO3) and not NO3-N (Nitrate-Nitrogen).

kkcdad

You need to re-read the instructions :)

API says there kits will be 4.4 times higher than N03 test kits

Their kit is NOT a Nitrate-Nitrogen test kit but a Nitrate (NO3)

API

This test kit measures nitrate as nitrate ion or “total nitrate.” Other nitrate test kits that measure “nitrate-nitrogen” (NO3-N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit.

Salifert kit

This test offers two ranges:
Low range: 0.2 - 10 mg/L (ppm) as nitrate.
Medium range: 2 - 100 mg/L (ppm) as nitrate

Note it says Nitrate and not Nitrate-Nitrogen

So, both the API and Salifert tests are as Nitrate and there is no conversion with 4.4.

With that said, the API test kit is notorious for reading to high.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
NO3 vs NO3-N

I guess in theory the api kit is superior as it gives you a more accurate reading

Nope they both give the same reading / say. It is like saying is it 77 F out side or 25 C outside or something that is 2.5 cm long is not more accurate than something that is 1 inch long, they are both the same length. There is NO such thing as Total Nitrate, it is Nitrate or Nitrate-Nitrogen. In this hobby when we give Nitrate readings it is as Nitrate (NO3) and not NO3-N (Nitrate-Nitrogen).

kkcdad

You need to re-read the instructions :)

API says there kits will be 4.4 times higher than N03 test kits

Their kit is NOT a Nitrate-Nitrogen test kit but a Nitrate (NO3)

API

This test kit measures nitrate as nitrate ion or “total nitrate.” Other nitrate test kits that measure “nitrate-nitrogen” (NO3-N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit.

Salifert kit

This test offers two ranges:
Low range: 0.2 - 10 mg/L (ppm) as nitrate.
Medium range: 2 - 100 mg/L (ppm) as nitrate

Note it says Nitrate and not Nitrate-Nitrogen

So, both the API and Salifert tests are as Nitrate and there is no conversion with 4.4.

With that said, the API test kit is notorious for reading to high.

Thank you Boomer for once again lighting the path, always great to read your posts!