Tori's First Marine Expedition!! nano style!

leahski

I am hiding my face in shame as a write this. i CANNOT BELIEVE how long it has been since i've made any sort of contribution to this thread!!

my tank is doing beautifully (i've sadly been separated from it this semester, as it stayed at home). remember my rhodactis? well, it has officially become three full mushrooms. crazy.
shrooms are taking over, the kenya tree is fragging itself like nuts, and i have a thriving colony of GSP on my pretty little feather duster.

my only concern at this point is calcium. i'm finding it hard to keep it at a good level, which is pretty bad for little dusty. if i was home more i could dose more, but unfornunately i am not.

However, i think it is time to add something a little more mobile to my tank. can you say FISH?!?!?!
after a long hard think and some research, i have come to a temporary desicion which can be easily swayed by any one of you brilliant reefers.
the winning combo is.....
1 citrus clowngoby
1 neon goby
for a total body length of no more than 1 1/2 inches.

if it's a better idea to get three neon gobies, i could do that too....
or different fish....
i don't actually know at all. but i want something obviously with less than 2 inches of body length (preferably closer to 1 inch), that moves and is pretty.

suggestions?
oh, and i'd rather not spend a million dollars on it. (1 mill = anything close to $100)

and....i might regret saying this....but i will try to take pics this coming weekend and post them next week monday.
yes?

good news is.....finals are coming which means christmas break is coming, which means free time to spend with tankie and my RS friends! :)

Craig Manoukian

A pair of rainsford gobies would be perfect. They are pod eaters so a healthy supply of amphipods and copepods is all you need. Post a pic of the tank when you get a chance please!

leahski

don't those get to be at least 2 inches long each? keep in mind i have an 8 gallon tank, which means that i probably have a total water volume of about 6 gallons (no sump).
that limits me to like 1-1 1/2 inches of fish if i push it!
small tanks are fun...but a little tricky and limiting...
definitely can't wait to get a HUGE one!!

leahski

Hey rick! i know, it's been awhile. can't wait to share the progress with you all!! btw, your tank is looking b-e-a-utiful! you definitely put mine to shame.
but not to worry, i will soon begin my long anticipated ZOA GARDEN!! i hope. :)

leahski

alright. by "i will try to take pics this coming weekend and post them next week monday" i may have meant: "i will take pictures on tuesday and post them wednesday"...

crazy end of the semester mayhem.

leahski

hello hello!! guess what time it is? PICTURE TIME!!! :lurk:
So, without any ado, here they are!

in the background you see my new cleaning crew recruits! tiny blue legs acclimating slightly
DSCN2215.jpg

The temporary location of my kenya trees. the huge original one grew and self fragged, grew and self fragged. i proped up a couple on this LRR which actually looks pretty good, and i brought crazy big leather to my school aquarium.
DSCN2217.jpg

DSCN2218.jpg

DSCN2222.jpg

DSCN2224.jpg

These are the two rhodactis clones. the mother shroom detached herself and is currently lodged behind a rock near the intake...i'll be moving her soon.
DSCN2226.jpg

DSCN2228.jpg

DSCN2248.jpg

Fine

leahski

welcome to my new and improved aquascaping. it's not perfect yet i don't think...but it's alright for now. look! new yellow polyp rock!! :)
DSCN2264.jpg

although on it i think there was a tiny anenome. i'm not positive that's what it is, but i know that i didn't put it in and it definitely moved from the back of the rock to where it is now.
here it is: what do you think?
DSCN2261.jpg

everything's looking gorgeous! i'm getting ready for a little yellow clown goby soon! :)

leahski

yeah! so apparently it's a mini carpet anenome (Stichodactyla tapetum). isn't it adorable? i fed it some frozen mysid which it seemed to enjoy, and i moved the ric away from it (apparently a ric will win in a fight agaist a mca) and yeah. i'm pretty excited about having an anenome in my tank!
...we'll see if it starts wreaking havoc. however from pictures and other threads it looks like they're pretty peaceful weith soft corals so it should be okay.

i am wondering if it will color up any. all of the pictures i have seen have shown crazy tye dye colors, never this pale white/green shade. i kind of enjoy how different it is from anything else, but it will be interesting to see if some good lighting and feeding bring some color back into it. (it came on a rock that had been in a sump underneath a platform of propagated coral)

leahski

new tank inhabitant! my dad brought home a beautiful zoa rock for me! it's got tons of gorgeous orange and green zoas, a great addition to the tank. i know it's wrong of me to tease you like this and not have a picture, but i'll get some soon, i promise!
also, on the rock are what to me look like monitpora?? there are a couple of small circles of it. i guess i'll get it verified when i get a pic up, but these are sps unless i'm horribly mistaken and i have stock lighting. any chance they'll survive? i have absolutely no experience with sps. this tank was set up to be stricktly softies/zoas/shrooms. any tips?

the mini carpet is doing well! it has actually colored up alot and looks great. it has these great little shiny spots on it's tentacles that look like jewels! soo happy with it. i'm hoping it makes babies.

also, i am sad to report that i think my feather duster is doing pretty poorly. looking back at old pictures i can tell that the "feathers" are a lot thinner as well as the tube housing, which is actually starting to do weird stuff at the top, almost as if it is bleaching or disinigrating or something.
i have been feeding with coral food phyto plankton stuff and trying to keep up on alkilinity/calcium dosing, is there anything else i can try?

pics soooon! :)

djbacon

whats up tori !

regarding th SPS, your best bet is probably to get it up as high to the light in your tank as possible. I've heard about people getting birdsnest to survive under PC lighting but I think it's probably not likely, not to rain on your parade.

If you aren't up to it, maybe there is someone on RS who would take it off your hands if you could frag it off your zoa rock.

Regarding the feather duster, I have a similar filter feeder, a cocoworm in my 14G and Im struggling with it too. It is doing OK but has definitely shrunk a litttle. It's tough to feed phyto and aother filter feeder nutirents in such a small tank without upsetting the balance of everything else.

Do your best to target feed the guy and not just dose the tank an you ought to be OK, its tought though.

Lookin forward to the new pics!