Top Brace??

njm92383

My question is this: Are the top braces on the tank important?

I bought my tank used and the brace was gone. Is this something i really should worry about getting fixed?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So it HAD a brace? In my mind they are VERY important if the tank was designed for the brace. It's something I would probably try to get resolved.

njm92383

yeah it had one. looking at the measurements from the manufacture the tank has gained 3/8" in width. I already went to a lfs to see if they can order in the piece.

My next question is how hard is it to put on the new piece?

Jeremy0322

I wouldnt imagine it being too hard to put on, depending on the type of tank and the type of brace you will have to have it empty, just slide the top on (usually comes as a rim with the brace in the center i believe), and then find a way to keep it in place, more than likely just silicone. If you dont have one though your tank can split in half, which is not good for a reef tank :lol:

PaulR

Jeeze - with that shear force on the tank, you might want to consider just buying a new one. I would be very worried about it.

-Paul

njm92383

well i would get a bigger tank but this is the first one and its not even a month old.(for me at least) Looks like i have a project on my hands.

sambrinar

It would bother me too, nothing like coming home to saltwater, sand, rock and inhabitiants on the floor.. In the very least I would replace the brace.

Just curious, is the tank acrylic or glass?

Witfull

to install a new rim, drain tank and remove the old rim. (you may have to break it carefully to get it off.) razor blade the edges of the glass inside and out appx 1" to remove any old silicone. clean edges with white vinager and dry with clean soft cloth. apply a bead of silicone to the inside of the new rim. position rim over tank and evenly press down completely. you may gently tap the rim with a rubber mallet to ensure its complely seated. clean any silicone that pressed out from under rim. allow to dry for 24-48 hrs.

njm92383

Thanks for all the help. I am going to order the part today and start getting everything out tonight when i get home from work.