Tooooo salty. Will it be ok until tomorrow?

My tank was at 1.026. I have a 110g system. I did a 35gal water change. My tank is now at 1.030. It must have been pretty damn salty to raise the salinity that much through a 33% water change. I have fish, inverts, corals, anemones. I got the water from a reputable store, however I was the last customer of the day and the sucked the water out of the bottom of the barrel. I used to check the water every time but have grown to trust them.

The water was changed at 9pm. The store opens tomorrow at noon so I can get some ro/di water. So will my tank be ok for 16 hours at this salinity?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Phew. That's an abrupt change n some serious salinity. Odds are things will survive however its not good for anything. R u sure ur refracto is calibrated correct? What do u test salinity with?

........what, me worry?

Doogle

It should be alright but some corals might not like it, you can remove a few gallons and add RO or distiller water if it's an emergency.

dmatt88

It should be alright but some corals might not like it, you can remove a few gallons and add RO or distiller water if it's an emergency.

I hate to.agree here but I gotta! :D

........what, me worry?

I already dumped whatever good clean fresh water in that I had. I use a refractometer and I calibrated it five times with the supplied calibration water

dmatt88

I already dumped whatever good clean fresh water in that I had. I use a refractometer and I calibrated it five times with the supplied calibration water

Hit a Kroger. It'd make me nervous with my tank.

........what, me worry?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd probably try to get it down a smidge tonight. Just don't try to get it back to normal in one big move like you got it up though. Minimize shock as best you can.

dmatt88

I'd probably try to get it down a smidge tonight. Just don't try to get it back to normal in one big move like you got it up though. Minimize shock as best you can.

Great advice al.

........what, me worry?

drm

I am under the impression that fish can handle a rapid decrease in salinity better than a rapid increase. This is often done for hyposalinity treatments - some people suggest that you can drop the salinity a LOT and the fish do fine. But raising it rapidly is extremely stressful because it creates a lot more stress on their internal organs, etc. I don't know about the corals, though - whether they would tolerate a rapid drop back to 1.026.

sk8rdn

drm said:
I am under the impression that fish can handle a rapid decrease in salinity better than a rapid increase. This is often done for hyposalinity treatments - some people suggest that you can drop the salinity a LOT and the fish do fine. But raising it rapidly is extremely stressful because it creates a lot more stress on their internal organs, etc. I don't know about the corals, though - whether they would tolerate a rapid drop back to 1.026.

Just because a fish can survive a quick drop doesn't mean it still doesn't severely stress them. In addition to the major stress already created with the rapid increase in sg. Plus a wide swing like this compounds the problem. They didnt just go from 1.030 to 1.026. They went 1.026 to 1.030 then back to 1.026. That's worse.

Also, in a hypo treatment, the sg can be dropped quickly only to save the fish a death from ich. In other words a life or death moment decision. It still isn't preferred to make any major changes quickly in our tanks.

....Salt Changes Everything....

Tru2nr

Just because a fish can survive a quick drop doesn't mean it still doesn't severely stress them. In addition to the major stress already created with the rapid increase in sg. Plus a wide swing like this compounds the problem. They didnt just go from 1.030 to 1.026. They went 1.026 to 1.030 then back to 1.026. That's worse.

Also, in a hypo treatment, the sg can be dropped quickly only to save the fish a death from ich. In other words a life or death moment decision. It still isn't preferred to make any major changes quickly in our tanks.

....Salt Changes Everything....

+1 i would grab some distilled water and drop it to no more then 1.028 seeing as your fish are probably stressed enough as it is.