Took my mom to her Cancer Treatment Centers of America and this is what i find!

Newjack

So my mother at 40 years old had breast cancer about 5 years ago. for anyone who knows anything about it she was diagnose with Triple positive, positive for estrogen receptors, progesterone receptors and HER2 stage 3B. She went through the whole shebang and got "everything" chopped off and limp nodes taken out. After her reconstruction she got her pathology report back and she was cancer free, However, HER2 positive is the most likely to reoccur. So for the rest of her like she has to get preventative treatments. So I try to take her as much as I can. She only lives about 20 mins away and im always working. This place I took her was nice. It was only for cancer patients and they accept the more severe cases over the lighter ones witch is good. It like saying your going through hell so we will expedite you through. There is usually a waiting list to be on for this place but I went behind her back and "donated" a sum. Then because of her case she was in the top list. Anyways this place is huge and fancy. They have a cafeteria that has really really good food. Everything is organic and made to order so no heat lamp. Everything for patients is free and if you sign in your visitor as a care giver then its 60% off like it was for me!

That morning I had 3 eggs over medium, bacon, 2 biscuits and gravy and a big bowl of pineapple (witch was cut from a fresh pineapple right in front of you) and a coffee. It cost $2.30 and it was better than waffle house or Ihop!

They also have a nice hotel patients can stay in when there really bad. Its 20 bucks a night and they get a shared room with a curtain divider, each patient gets there own CNA 3 patients per nurse and 10 patients per doctor. If you are really really sick you can get your own room for $60, your own CNA, nurse and 4 patients per doctor! Everything else the insurance pays! Now is that awesome or what?! Its cheaper than the rent on a 1/1 bed bath house!

So the real reason for the post when I stop myself from rambling on is they had 2 in wall saltwater tanks! The only thing I didn't like about them is they both had allot of majano anemones and hair algae. I was talking to the guy cleaning them who apparently does all the maintenance now since the last guy moved 6 months ago and he said he thought the anemones where bought and placed. I said something about the hair algae and he didn't even know what I was talking about.. Apparently this guy never even seen a salt water tank till he started there. It also looks like a couple fish had parasites. I spoke with the director and told him next time I come with my mom witch she goes weekly, that I would try and tell them what they need and help them get it straighten out. Hell I even pointed out an emerald crab that was lying upside down and looks like something has began to eat it. He said its been there for a while he just thought that's where he sleeps all day.. :hammerhea

Here are the pics! They do have some excellent coral growth and a huge zoa colony, but there the cheap ugly zoas

Last edited:

Steve L

What a shame, beautiful tanks.

They probably haven't had any kind of a water change since the last guy left. It sounds like a suggestion to them about an experienced maintenance company would be a big help at this point, that is unless you want the job.

Newjack

What a shame, beautiful tanks.

They probably haven't had any kind of a water change since the last guy left. It sounds like a suggestion to them about an experienced maintenance company would be a big help at this point, that is unless you want the job.

Well most of the people there a volunteers. So there budget is strict im sure. All there money goes to patient care and comfort.

This new guy is not a volunteer but is doing it minimum wage and only comes in once a night. Idk what he does exactly but it cant be much. I was thinking more about showing him and teaching how to take care of it. I would take the job but the drive would cost me more in gas than I would be getting.

jmmg33

sad, people with money that can afford those tanks doesn't take care for them and people dying to have one doesn't have the money and resources. Like me . :mad:

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
It would be a fantastic gesture if any local members of RS got together and arranged to look-after the regular upkeep of the tanks.
When you consider what the likes of PaulB and his beautiful wife are going through at the moment, it would help to create a calm, colourful and interesting distraction for patients attending the hospital for treatment.
If it was in my home town, I'd be at the front of the queue for sure.
Maybe it is something that Travis or Glenn
(nanoreefing4fun) could try to promote with their knowledge of local members?

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
:bump:
It would be a fantastic gesture if any local members of RS got together and arranged to look-after the regular upkeep of the tanks.
When you consider what the likes of PaulB and his beautiful wife are going through at the moment, it would help to create a calm, colourful and interesting distraction for patients attending the hospital for treatment.
If it was in my home town, I'd be at the front of the queue for sure.
Maybe it is something that Travis or Glenn
(nanoreefing4fun) could try to promote with their knowledge of local members?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I know we have some RS members in Atlanta, GA Maybe a local reef club could take on this project, would be a nice outreach to the local community.

I know it's a huge city, sure there are lots & lots of sw reef keepers there.

Best of luck & prayers for your mom !

Newjack

Thanks guys. Next time I go there ill talk to the director about it. I would do it but cant afford the gas for a 4 hour drive round trip. Its tight as it is already. Well a little more info on it is the CUCs look like there not doing to well, they have I think a flower anemone that is found it self a home near the wave makers at the top on the wall. Hair algae from hell. I can remember the name of them but there were probably about 20 of those tiny white starfish on the glass. There were more majanos than there were zoas. I roughly counted 30 in one tank and about 15 in the other. The T5s looked old and the yellow tang looked like crap. Why my guess is parasites. It looked just like this. I also only saw maybe 5 snails in each tank. all other fish seemed ok.