too many fish

Chris954

how do you know whats your limit of fish you should have in your tank? i have a 29gallon biocube so far i have five fish

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Difficult question. Depends on the type of fish, and amount of filtration. Larger fish require more filtration than smaller fish. Liverock/skimmer/mechanical filtration all work together. Only way to answer your question is to ask a few more. Have your checked your water parameters. Are there detectable levels of Amonia and Nitrite? How much live rock. How big is your skimmer. What kinds of fish. Any inverts(coral/snails/shrimp/crabs?

Chris954

Difficult question. Depends on the type of fish, and amount of filtration. Larger fish require more filtration than smaller fish. Liverock/skimmer/mechanical filtration all work together. Only way to answer your question is to ask a few more. Have your checked your water parameters. Are there detectable levels of Amonia and Nitrite? How much live rock. How big is your skimmer. What kinds of fish. Any inverts(coral/snails/shrimp/crabs?

my test are good i do have corals,turbo snails crabs my next step is to get a skimmer now what kinda of skimmer i have no idea i was going to go with the biocube one but alot of people tell me its not that good i also want to add another pump so i can get more water flow in my tank

TheBishop

I made same mistake starting out on the fly and had to restart. First thing RO/DI, substrate, live rock, skimmer, then fish (little at a time), CUC. Corals and anenome should be aways down the road and it cycles and tank becomes mature

Chris954

I made same mistake starting out on the fly and had to restart. First thing RO/DI, substrate, live rock, skimmer, then fish (little at a time), CUC. Corals and anenome should be aways down the road and it cycles and tank becomes mature

bishop thanks on the info any advice on what pump i should check out to get more water flow same goes with the skimmer ?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

Chris954

Reef Octopus BH100 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus - Protein Skimmers - Bulk Reef Supply
AquaC Remora-S Hang-On Protein Skimmer w/ Drain Fitting & Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200 Powerhead/Pump

thanks for the info man

Both of those skimmers are HOB(hang on back). They are both name brand and either one will server you well. I have used both brands and would recommend either. As far as Powerheads(for circulation) Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
the simplest answer is Amonia levels. If your tank has been running longer than a month, and the last fish was added more than 2 weeks ago, check amonia levels. If you are able to detect amonia, your animals are producing more waste than your filtration can handle. Daily water changes will be required to keep the amonia in check, which leaves you with the choice to add more filtration(live rock and or powerheads), or take one or more fish.

sndw

bishop thanks on the info any advice on what pump i should check out to get more water flow same goes with the skimmer ?

I use AquaMaxx HOB 1 right now and so happy with it, great skimmer with Internal Pump so you don't have to worry about fitting additional pump in the back of the tank. For water flow, I suggest to get MP-10, it can do everything for your water flow.

HotelSoap

If they swim and they are constantly within each other's space that's too many.....5 fish isn't too much for a 29 gallon if they are damsels.

Doogle

I wouldn't get the bh100 reef octopus, it has a huge pump that sits in the tank. Aquamaxx hob-1 or reef octo bh-1000 are much better.

StirCrayzy

If your adding a pump, the best way to add filtration capacity is to add a sump in the bottom of the stand.
5 fish (assuming adult length is over 2"ea) is a lot for that cube, dependant on nitrate levels moreso than ammonia. Ammonia rises fast and can be missed. The ammonia will get processed and bacteria population increases to accomodate. The problem is nitrate needs to be removed, which means either lots of WC's or specifically using nitrate reducing filtration. A skimmer wont hurt, but wont solve the algaeproblems likely to occur.
Best of luck, keep is posted.