Tonga Branch cure?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I bought two very nice tonga branches on Saturday from LFS. The owner had made an order specifically per my request and I was there when the shipment came in. I got to open the cooler and get first "dibs" on anything in there. I picked out two very good looking branches that I feel will fit nicely in each of my tanks. The branches were shipped very wet but NOT submerged in water. They were inside of thick plastic bags with some water in the bags but they were not totally under water. They are smelled good (as far as ROCK smells) with no sour or spoiled (eggy) smells at all. I brought them home (LFS packed them in FULL bags of water for travel) and put them into SW from a WC into a 5 gallon bucket. I added the stock powerhead from my Nano-Cube and a heater set to 79 degrees (it's a crappy heater so it will be anywhere from 76 - 83 degrees) and it's been running like that ever since. I plan to do a 50% water change in the bucket this weekend.

My question is (aren't you glad I am FINALLY getting to it) how long does the cure take place? I have read before you cure it till it smells "like the ocean" but this stuff came in that way. How do I know these branches are "Cured"? I smelled of them last night and they smell identical. They look the same as before and don't have any loose "spooge" hanging from them.

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Frags for FREE?

Allen

vdituri

No frags for free, but advice sure. Sounds like they were pretty well cured when you got them. If they don't smell funky I'd say you are in the clear.

DaBird

ohh, sat.(duh)..I'd also say that you are prob. OK at this point...But if it's not hurting anything, you might give it a few more days, better safe than sorry...

michael_cb_125

Just because they smell ok does not mean they are ok. I would still cure them. Test your water after a few days, this will let you know for sure that it is cured. Curing can take from a week to several weeks. Usually about two to four weeks. The "stuff" on the rock could be going through a lag time. It could be "dead" and just not started decaying yet. I would error on the side of caution.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No frags for free, but advice sure. Sounds like they were pretty well cured when you got them. If they don't smell funky I'd say you are in the clear.

Aww man.. I was REALLY looking for free FRAGS and just using the Tonga thing as a lure! :LOL:

Thanks for the input! I was leaning that way but I am too new at this to make my OWN decisions :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks michael_cb_125... you posted while I was posting the above one. I'll test water before I do a WC and see how that comes out. I'm in no hurry just more curious than anything. Thanks for your input.

Allen :)

I will be happy to send you frags of Anethelia, also called clove polyps. Beware they can be invasive. However, they are easy to care for and look good waiving around in the current.
PM me if you want some and you can pay pal me some money for shipping.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just because they smell ok does not mean they are ok. I would still cure them. Test your water after a few days, this will let you know for sure that it is cured. Curing can take from a week to several weeks. Usually about two to four weeks. The "stuff" on the rock could be going through a lag time. It could be "dead" and just not started decaying yet. I would error on the side of caution.

I did a water test last night and WHAM was that shocking! My Nh4 was OFF the scale (on the HIGH side). I mean the test asks for 8 drops of Indicator "B" and on about 5 the test tube is already deep dark yellow.. I knew it was going DOWN hill... I repeated the test just in case of "user error" and got the same results. So I guess even though it still smells "oceanie" it's got some more curing to do. It was late when I finally got around to this so tonight I am doing a 50% WC and letting them "simmer" for a good while longer...

Thanks for the advice and I'll report back as details evolve.

Sincerely,
Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
*URGENT

Does the "bucket" that my Tonga Branches are curing in need a heater? The reason I ask is before my back up heater "Penn" something glass tube heater must have stuck "On" and cooked my Branches. I noticed the water was WAY too warm and when I went investigating the heater was stuck ON and had literally melted an indention into the side of my 5 gallon bucket. How "needed" is the heater in the curing water?

Allen

DaddyJax

No, not really. Try not to let it get down to freezing temps or boiling but for the most part it is not needed. The water should be 50% changed every few days with any sponge or macro algae removed from the rock manualy. You may need to scrub it. Circulation is the biggest thing as well as WC. It will take a week or two to be completely cured.

Is this going in to a well established tank? If so how big is the branch? 10g tank can be very sensitive!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's VERY clean branches with no noticeable macro or sponges at all. It's been scrubbed 3 times now this week. It's a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead circling the water at a brisk pace. so far so good.

Yeah the tank is established since January (not to terribly long) but it's very stable so far. Surprisingly so actually.

It's only one branch for the 10g and one branch for my 12g Nano-Cube. The longer of the two is maybe 12" and it's a single branch with two forks.. just for some "accent" to my 12g tank. The other isn't as long but it's sort of a cluster of 2 branches intertwined to go into my 10g tank. Both just to add some variety to my tanks!!!

Thanks for input!! I'll post back this weekend after another water change and some water param testing.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I will be happy to send you frags of Anethelia, also called clove polyps. Beware they can be invasive. However, they are easy to care for and look good waiving around in the current.
PM me if you want some and you can pay pal me some money for shipping.

Got the package in the mail today! You rock Bro! Thank you so much!