"Tom's RSM 250"

steved13

PREMIUM
So sorry Tom, I think that's every reefers worst nightmare. :(

I know you're feeling pretty low but..

+1 don't give up

tnwillia

Thanks all!

No rock slides the glass just failed. 3 year old tank so no reason to go to red sea.

What I'm going to look hard at as I get to it is the stand. This goes back to the wood deterioration I saw and asked Red Sea about a couple of months ago. They said the stand was never meant to have a sump in it. While I've kept it dry I've had a few spills over 3 years and i know my tank has been just a little off center level over the last year. I was just about ready to get the wood for my new stand. I'm going to look toward tank level change with the stand problems, its possible it has shifted just enough to stress that front corner. I'm also wondering about this fromt right corner, it seems like every failed 250 tank members have posted this year and last all cracked in that corner.

I'm not quitting this hobby or here, this hobby overtook everything else I did except work, I enjoy it far to much to quit. But, I'm going to enjoy the break in my elecric bill LOL. While no one wants this to happen it's opened the door for the larger tank I've wanted for some time. I'm just not in any rush to get there right now. I've got around 20 to 30 gal of water in my carpet and all the problems that brings to deal with first.

Thanks again!

Dweezil

Tom ~ a little birdie told me about this and I just wanted to stop by and tell you how sorry I am.
I know it must be a devestating feeling and you're probably overwhelmed right now.
If there is anyone that can pull thru thus type of thing though it is you.

Best wishes

~ Tammy

jpsika08

:( Sorry about the tank Tom, great job saving everything!

The curvature on these maybe can't sustain too much pressure as a regular tank.
Great knowing you won't be quitting and hopefully your break won´t last too long ;)

Tokalosh

OMG Tom, I feel your frustration and pain, I'm sorry to hear this.
Truth be told I'm still on edge and dreading the day I come home to relive the past.

Good to see you are not letting it get the best of you.

Tok

tnwillia

Thanks David, I understand now why Red Sea went to the metal frame for the stand on your tank. Thanks again!

catran

I'm not quitting this hobby or here, this hobby overtook everything else I did except work, I enjoy it far to much to quit.

Tom, sooo sorry to hear about your tank. I'd probably want to take a break before I started a new tank too. Great that you're considering a bigger tank though, I'll be waiting for that!!
Cat

ho02ody

Mate, sorry to hear about your tank! The pics are crazy! I feel I might be sleeping with one eye open for a while and dreading coming home from work! And when ghl finally release the leakage sensors I'll surely have a few of them around the place!
Worries me a lot that it can happen 3 and a half years after purchase!
Did you modify the cabinet in any way when installing your sump or was it all as it came from the factory?
Fully understanding if you don't want to talk about it right now
Regards
Dan

tnwillia

Thanks Reggie!

Hey Dan, The only cabinet mods I made were a few holes in the center support to allow hose to pass between left & right sides. I don't see that this had any effect on the stand. I checked level on my stand today without the tank on it and it's just a hair off towards the right front. I don't think it's enough to stress the glass to the point of cracking but I don't know how little or how much it would take. The stand does show some cracking and splitting of the wood likely from it getting wet by my sump/skimmer spills. I'll take pictires if I can get them to show the damage. While it's no help, I don't think I'm ever going to know for sure why it failed.

That said, I don't think you need to worry about it. In the 3 years I've been one here I'd say there have only been 4 or 5 tanks (including mine) crack like this out of the thousands out there and there are several members who have had 250s as long as I had mine without problems. Don't worry, it won't help just enjoy your tank!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh Tom, I am so very sorry for you that this has happened. :( I don't know what I would do if it ever happened to mine. Good luck with the clean up operation and if I lived close, I would come and help. Those pics of the cabinet would come in handy so that other members can check their stand, but only when you are ready of course. It's great you're not giving up and i'm looking forward to your future build.

tnwillia

Thanks Leigh. I'll take the pictures soon, they just don't show well with the black cabinet color, it's going to be one of those "take a hundred to get a few good shots". Thanks again!