Tom's 120/150 gallon Upgrade

tommyboynj

So.... We have had our current 75g mixed tank for about a year. My wife took some warming up but has become really fond of the tank. When we located the current set up, upgrades were not even on the cards. However, as time has gone by and my wife has become more involved in "tank life" we had be talking about it as part of a planned addition to the house in a few years.

Like I said, when we set the tank up we both agreed on location. However, as much as my wife loves the tank she has become annoyed with where it sits. It's located in the entrance way from the front door and is a little "in your face" as she says. Well, today I come home and she looking at the tank when I get home. As I walk through the door she greats me with "this needs to move". My initial reaction was an oh crap as I was expecting it to be relegated to some corner of the house. Boy was I wrong :)

After much talk and a glass of wine she proposed an upgrade in size along with the move. This will be a SLOW build as there are several moving parts involved. First off, the planned location:

2012-08-09_19-49-06_467-1.jpg

2012-08-09_19-49-24_53.jpg

2012-08-09_19-49-36_707.jpg

The tank will be veiwable from both sides and the bottom of the tank will be about a foot lower than the existing pass through to ensure easy access for maintenance etc. This pass through is 49" wide so I'm going to be limited to a 4ft tank. Probably going to be a 120 or 150H. This actually works well as it will keep cost down. The the primary cost will be construction materials to build out the existing wall on the kitchen side, moving the existing kitchen cabnets etc, the tank and a new sump. I will keep my existing lighting until I can upgrade to LEDS as budget allows.

I will move my existing livestock to the new tank and add some additional live rock. This time around I plan on keeping things more open. Focus will be on a mixed reef. New fish additions will have to fit current livestock.

Over the next couple of months I will start to put together some plans on sketch up and finalize a budget for approval :bouncebox. Once that's done I'll acquire the tank and sump. Construction will begin after the holidays with a plan completion date in early january. I'm gonna need some planning help on this one as its got to look like a part of the house etc.

Last edited:

tommyboynj

I have the same baby monitor :)

Freakin hate those things. Between the two kids that thing has been on for almost 5 years. Lol. Every time I try and convince the wife to put it away she busts my you know what's about monitoring the tank from my smart phone. I then crawl back under my rock.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nothing like a baby monitor to take a blood-curdling, ear-piercing shriek, amplify it, and pass it along (with an ever so slight delay) in stereo to help the headaches along... :D

....Moving On, Moving On....

tommyboynj

OK. Been thinking about this a little more. So right now Im leaning towards building an additional wall on the kitchen side, this will move the cabinets back about 1.75 ft. Ill get ride of that cabinets with the glass doors and get a nice piece of furniture for the contents. This will prevent people open the doors into the side of the tank. Ill put some kind for floor to ceiling door on both short side for access and ventilation. As for the tank, Im looking at finding something with the overflow on the short side. Ill have plenty of space under the tank for electrical etc. Gonna keep my current sump for now and then upgrade that when cost allows. I have some free time this weekend so Im gonna get some drawings done and work on the budget.