Toadstool fraging itself!

reefsilly

Most of the time hobbyist cut off a portion of the Coral's crown and base then attach that piece to live rock or place it on a sandy bottom.

Well as i've said before my 55gal ( and we all know the 55gal has no width to it) is to small and my quater size Toadstool frag when I got it four years ago has out grown the tank front to back.

At first I thought there was a problem with the leather as it started to produce holes within it's crown but towards the rim. As the holes became bigger and the newly open wounds began to quickly heel up I new something else was going on. The only way I can explain it is; it looks like someone has gone around the entire coral ripping (tearing) it.

I figure since the toadstool has know where else to grow it is now trying to re-populate for new growth and keep it's species alive..

I guess you can say the coral got tried of waiting and decided to frag it's self.:time:

Thought I would share!

Toadstool-fraging-itself.jpg

Toadstool1.jpg

Frag-still-hanging-on.jpg

Frag-ready-to-drop.jpg

sabodish

it is very common..i have had the base of many of my leathers split in half..i have also had leathers bud new heads from the stalk as well..either way, its a sign of a healthy tank...congrats.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So since we are on the topic of healthy leathers (which these apparently are VERY healthy) what do yall do special for them? Are you adding anything in your feeding regimen specifically for them?

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
..these corals are basically indestructible.
that makes me feel worse.. I had one go south on Me... of course it was due to a stupid sea slug that died behind the rock and NUKED my whole tank. Fortunately all I lost was the slug and leather.

Allen :)

geegee3

Thanks for posting the pics. I have a toadstool that is doing the exact same thing and I was getting worried. Nice to know that is healthy!:smirk:

that makes me feel worse.. I had one go south on Me... of course it was due to a stupid sea slug that died behind the rock and NUKED my whole tank. Fortunately all I lost was the slug and leather.

Allen :)

Yeah.... Mine's possibly still alive... Ricordias seem to be indestructable in my tank.

spanglish

When it started to seperate (note the "tear" at the baby's base) I was
afraid it would blow off and disappear behind my rock. So (with some
encouragement from online friends) I took a razor and finished the tear.