To brave the Red Sea or not.

Found a deal on a RSM250 with the stand assembled everything else new in box for $640.00. The reason I am hesitant is the more I read about the red seas the more I realize to be most effective I need to mod. Is it better to buy a new or used drilled tank with sump or pull the trigger on the 250 and add some modifications?

I am at the point where I want something that looks great and modern is functional and quiet.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Not all folks mod. Take a look at Glenn's (nanoreefingforfun) thread. He, as well as others run their RSM completely stock.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'd say if you like the overall looks of the RSM 250 tank, it's a good deal. Any idea WHY it is for sale in unused condition? Probably going to mod whatever you get....it's part of the SW addiction to add equipment ;)
You should get as big a tank as what you want to keep in a tank needs. So will 65gal. be what you really want?

reefer gladness

IMO you'll spend less in the long run buying your equipment once and getting exactly what you want than buying it twice by modding an all-in-one system. My first tank was an RSM, I replaced every piece of equipment but the timer - literally. And it still left me unsatisfied. I have a very expensive QT/hospital tank now.

But a lot of it depends on what is important to you and what you want to keep eventually. Silence was a big factor for me, RSM skimmer was noisy as a freight train and aftermarket options are very limited. You can add a sump to open up the skimmer options but this still has compromises and will never run dead silent the way a drilled tank can. The overflow box is an expensive piece, basically a custom order because the back wall of the RSM is so high. Lifereef is the best place to go for the overflow box but it will never flow as much or be as silent as a herbie or bean-animal style overflow.

I started at 20 gallons went to 90 which was too big at the time then to a 34 aio. I would still have my 34 if the movers didn't break it :( , I thought the RSM is a too good to be true deal but it looks legitimate. I do like the look of it, I actually searched them out after reading your thread Diana I am married now and in a great house which I don't plan on leaving soon.

Let me read through some of these stock threads :) is there room in the cabinet for a ato reservoir?

IMO you'll spend less in the long run buying your equipment once and getting exactly what you want than buying it twice by modding an all-in-one system. My first tank was an RSM, I replaced every piece of equipment but the timer - literally. And it still left me unsatisfied. I have a very expensive QT/hospital tank now.

But a lot of it depends on what is important to you and what you want to keep eventually. Silence was a big factor for me, RSM skimmer was noisy as a freight train and aftermarket options are very limited. You can add a sump to open up the skimmer options but this still has compromises and will never run dead silent the way a drilled tank can. The overflow box is an expensive piece, basically a custom order because the back wall of the RSM is so high. Lifereef is the best place to go for the overflow box but it will never flow as much or be as silent as a herbie or bean-animal style overflow.

A big part of it is the modern look it has, where I live I only have craigslist and PEtco. My wife wants something that looks great and is quiet.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yes there is plenty of room for an ATO reservoir in the cabinet.Most folks have a chiller in one side (depending on where you live) and their ATO and other stuff on the other side.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It's a great tank. I love mine, but the one thing that I wouldn't call it, is quiet. The cooling fans, the light fans and the skimmer are all louder than they should be. I think Red Sea addressed it in the new model 250s.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It's a great tank. I love mine, but the one thing that I wouldn't call it, is quiet. The cooling fans, the light fans and the skimmer are all louder than they should be. I think Red Sea addressed it in the new model 250s.

Good post! Completely agree!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You know, Sound is in the ears of the beholder....I love hearing my tank run.
The trickling of the water and the humm of the tank all sounds soothing to me.
I'm being serious. It's not too loud...it's a soft noise.
But then, I'm a person who's pictures on the wall are mostly of waterfalls, rivers & creeks.
That might help my sound imagination. ;)
The sounds I don't like in my house are the TV, the dishwasher and clothes washer/dryer.
I bought my RSM 250 for it's size (it's all I had room for where I wanted to put it) and it's good looks.
And I didn't want to have to pick out everything to get it going.
I've changed things about it & made it my own set up. That's part of the hobby.
Spending boo-koos of money is part of the hobby too. Best not think it's not. :yup:

Hopefully the C has corrected some of the noise issues!

My 90 gallon when it was up and running sounded like I had a river running through my house, I was new to the hobby back then and thought it was normal. After looking at tanks with my wife yesterday online and in Petco and the local pet shop we have decided to give the RSM a shot especially considering the price. I spoke with the seller and he assures me he bought the tank built the stand and the set the tank on then never finished it :banghead: All the parts he claims are still in the original box unopened, it seems a bit odd considering the price he would of paid for it brand new, but he is willing to do a fill test before I purchase it and go through the box to make sure nothing is missing. Now to find a part list or unboxing video :)

there isnt perfect in this world, unless you build it your own. If you are like beginner or easy with corals like softies or Lps, the red sea max is good enough without any mod. I did little bit mod on mine, because Im 70%Sps and 30%Lps/ Softies mixed. You can check out my tank , to see how it goes

I have a lot of experience but I am not very handy.... I do appreciate everyone's feedback and opinions. I am going forward with the Red Sea Max for the price I am getting it for I can afford to spend more on live rock and designer clownfish.

Frosty Clowns here I come! (In a few months of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk