Tired of empty tank!!! :)

Clint24

Here I go again. My 220 gal tank has been sitting fallow for over 3 months now after a bad ich outbreak that wiped out my tank. Been running my UV sterilizer 24/7. All my inverts are still doing good. Gonna do a 50 gal water change this weekend & double check all my water parameters & hopefully start restocking my tank with fish this weekend. I pray that all the ich is gone. Wish me luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tank stalker

Go to specialty forums and then tank Chronicles and start your thread there.....good luck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Snid

I third the QT tank. Yes, it means more time, but patience pays off. I currently have a newcomer waiting in QT, so I know the pain of waiting and wanting to get him into the DT. He's a little over a week in with about 2 weeks to go. I personally QT for three weeks minimum from here on out because some diseases take a week or two just to reveal themselves.

Clint24

Well not yet because I didn't want the temptation of starting to early but yes I'm going to get one this weekend. I'm still trying to figure out what size to get. Don't have much room in my house but definitely need a QT. What size would uall recomend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think a 29G is a good size unless you're buying larger fish then the 55 is the way to go.....you could also make due with the 40B as well. The reason for the "adequate" sized tank is so that you don't add more stress to a fish.

personally, I think the smaller, more active fish such as wrasse are way cool and they are pretty good at being disease resistant!

Buying your fish from a good, reputable dealer always helps as well!

Clint24

Psu4me

Thanks for the advise. I love the color & the life style of a lot of the wrasse 's but I have an open top on my tank & scared they will jump out.
I did finally get me a 40 gal tank for my QT tank. Can't wait to start stocking my DT tank again. I have a while to go tho. Gotta have patience. :)

CD

joy613

You can start your quarantine tank now so when you find the fish you want to start with it will be already through quarantine. How long do you plan to quarantine for?

Clint24

Joy613
From the what I've read, it sounds like I'm gonna have to quarantine for atleast 2-3 weeks. Is that right?

CD

Clint24

Also I have the list of fish that I want so it's just gonna take time & patience. I figure I can purchase 1 fish & a couple of corals & quarantine at the same time. Kinda killin 2 birds with one stone. Can I do that or not really??

CD

Kongor

2-3 week quarantine won't stop ich in some cases I believe.

Here is what I found doing a quick search and if memory serves me right its in the ball park:

Life Stages of Marine Ich

1.TOMONT STAGE: May last anywhere from 3 - 28 days or even longer depending on water temperature. You can not see ich in this stage, it is attached to the substrate.
2.THERONT STAGE: The free swimming stage lasting anywhere from 1 - 3 days.
3.TROPHONT STAGE: This is the only stage that you can actually visualize the parasite. At this stage it is attached to the fish and feeding on the fish, lasting 3 - 7 days.
4.TROPHONT FREE SWIMMING: The last stage where the parasite has fallan off the fish to begin it's reproduction cycling in the substrate.

I QT for 8 weeks and never had a problem. I don't QT corals but I do dip them

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
A barebottom 20 gallon makes a great QT. Make it as ugly and plain as possible to avoid the temptation of setting it up permanently as another display tank :)
Just a simple air pump with a sponge filter, dim light, and cover (to prevent jumping). Go ahead an buy several sponge filters and plan on using a new one with each QT period. A NEW sponge can be 'seeded' with good bacteria in the main display's sump. In your case however, your main tank is fallow so you will need to cycle your QT several weeks PRIOR to adding new fish.
No, do not QT inverts and fish. Both require different 'treatments'.
You're doing good by waiting. Keep up the good work and don't get hasty adding new stuff!

Clint24

Kongor
Thanks for the info. Great advise. What kind of dip do u do on your corals?

Woodstock
I got a 40 gal bow front to use as QT or hospital tank in the future if need be. Was gonna go bare bottom with some PVC pipe for fish hiding/comfort spots. Thanks for the links, I will definitely read them.

CD

Kongor

I use CoralRX, blue bottle that smells like pine-sol lol.

Once I float the bag I cut it open and put it in a 1 gallon plastic bin, do a drip acclimate until I reach that one gallon mark and then add the proper amount of CoralRX with a small powerhead and let that go for 10-15 minutes. Usually I don't see anything bad only pods but a couple times I've iced some funky looking critters.

Thats what I follow for SPS or some LPS, for softies I usually just pour a gallon of tank water and dip right away, all depends how sensitive the species is to change

Clint24

That's good to know. I'll try it. I used to use lugols solution for a dip but always good to try something different. Thanks a lot for the info !!! :)

CD

Clint24

40 gal QT up & runnin. Ready to start restocking now!!! :)
ytapupaz.jpg

CD