tiny starfish good or bad?

ashleym711

so i just bought my first corals today and as i was adding one i noticed a tiny starfish in the bottom of my bag i was wondering if i should just get rid of it or if its ok? sorry for the bad pic. thank you :)

005-1.jpg

vsindorf

I'm not seeing a starfish...can you get a better picture of it?

more likely than not though, it's good. Tiny brittle stars or asterinas will live in tiny crevices and do good things. very few starfish are not beneficial.

Doogle

Some astereanas are okay and some are not. I don't know the difference so when I see one I remove it before it can possibly multiply like crazy.
Brittle stars are fine.

Doogle

Lol, after those pics I can easily see the starfish in the first pic... I'd still get rid of it, or feed to my Green Spotted Puffer

ashleym711

i guess it will go. i feel a little bad cause its so tiny and cute :(
thank you for your help though guys i appreciate it :)

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
there are several varieties of these, though the naming can get a bit hard on the tongue. I have them in my DT, they are harmless algae/detritis eaters. The problem is, there is ONE that has been known to munch on corals. How to specificall identify it from others im not quite sure. I leave them in my DT so long as i dont find damage to my corals. If i find one on or close to a coral, it goes in the sump. the only other problem i have noticed with them is, if your CUC is low or sparce, these little thing can spread like mad. It splits in half on its own. THough i do remove them when i feel they are behaving in a risky manner, ive never seen any evidence they've harmed my corals.