Time for new lamps - 400w Single Ended

400w MH - Single Ended with four 96w PC Actinics

• Total voters

billyr98

Well its time for new lamps soon for my tank.. need some opinions on which to get.. I started with Hamilton 10k, they stunk! Yellow!!! So i got hamilton 14k, they were ok... I got a blueline 20k in the middle now...

I want some good opinions from you guys...

I am leaning towards XM 10k..

I also have 4 96w PC actinics..

Thanks !

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
400W man what sun screen do you wear? ive got 175 xm and they are white,I couldnt imagine 400 how bigs your tank?

mps9506

What type of ballast are you running? I like the radiums on an HQI ballast. The new CV Reeflux bulbs look great on an eballast. I think the 10k looks like a super intense VHO setup. I like the color, some folks don't like the hint of pink, but apparently the corals love the 10k bulbs.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I know nothing of double ended bulbs. All I can offer is the fact that my corals LOVE XM 10k 250 watt SE bulbs :) Nice crisp white~

BoomerD

Last edited:

Snelly40

SO 10k are better for the tank, but 20K might look better?
i have 14k, so am just curious. still learning about all the lighting cuz it seems to change so much

billyr98

Great feedbacks... I leaning towards the XM 10ks.. I just hope the 4 - 96w push the blue good enough against three 400s.. With my hamilton 10ks it didn't... but that was hamiltons..

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I didn't care for my 10k SE hamiltons either...

If you do go with XM 10 k's, be prepared to adjust the photoperiod or otherwise shield the corals from the very, very intense light for several weeks.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I didn't like the XM bulbs they have very high PAR and severely damaged my corals,,,you really need to take your time to allow your corals to adjust to these bulbs especially with 400 watters. I have the aquaconnect 14k but my next bulb will be reeflux 10k.

Witfull

when i get mine, ill just put the plexi shield in, that cuts allot of par and burning. i might raise it 2" also.