time for a new fishyyyyy! What to get?

Curgan

So me and my GF, lost a Kole tang, over the weekend... it was a sad affair... he was such a cool fish. and now the tank seems so empty with out him...i dont think i want to get another algae eatter, becuase i have lost the tang and a twin spot goby over the last 6 months... i dont think there is enough algae to support these guys...
I currently have true percula clown, a two tone wrasse, a PJ Cardinal, and a lawn mower blenny... im looking for something reef safe, colorful, and full of personality!!!
Anyone have suggestions???

The tank is 55 gallons!!!

jjohnson3

I would try to figure out why the fish died before you get another. What about a mate for your true percula clown? Is it hosting in green star polyps or an anemone? Hard to tell in your avatar...

Curgan

its hosting in a Goniopora (flower pot)... and we dont know why the tang died, it was fading in color over the last week or so, but it was still eating the Nori and picking at the rocks... water parameters where still pretty good, but the nitrates were kinda high (80ppm). but i dont think that would kill a tang... i did water changes and now the nitrates are down...

jjohnson3

Ok. If all your levels are in check, fish seem fine, and corals are doing well Id say you could get a fish. My personal opinion is to buy in pairs with clowns. I think it looks cooler, but thats just me. Do what you like. This is what you need to ask yourself.

Mark, What fish do you want that will look pretty in your tank and will fit nicely in the size limit you have?

That is the same question I ask myself when making a purchase, except my name is Jason. Lol. If I were in your shoes, another true percula clownfish would be added. :)

Curgan

we have been looking into getting a true perc. for awhile, im just concerned about how they will get along... i was told to go for one either twice his size or half his size so the dominance battle would be minimal... the one i have is about 1.5-2 inches long...

jjohnson3

True Percula Clowns are hard to find? My LFS gets them in all the time! They are true percs beause they have darkish areas in there fins. where do you live nanomismomi?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't know how "Successful" you'll be adding a new one to the tank. They can be VERY possessive and aggressive to the "new Clown in town".

Colorful? How about some type of :
Bicolor Pseudochromis

jjohnson3

If possible, take the old clown out and add the new one in. Let him settle and then add the old one.

chipmunkofdoom2

80ppm is what I'd consider very high. It easily over time could have killed the tang. Not to mention, most sites quote the Kole as needing AT LEAST 75 gallons, which I think should be the bare minimum for any tang.

Also, your tank, IMO, with all those fish was overstocked. You had (with the Kole and goby) 26 inches of adult fish. I've seen a lot of figures for inches per gallon as far as stocking goes, but NEVER have I seen anything say an inch per every 2 gallons.

You really need to get your tank in order, and possibly give away a few fish, before you plan on adding anything else.

new reefer 03

we have been looking into getting a true perc. for awhile, im just concerned about how they will get along... i was told to go for one either twice his size or half his size so the dominance battle would be minimal... the one i have is about 1.5-2 inches long...

the smaller the better, if you want a pair.
odds are you have had that one perc in there for a little while. once clowns are alone (1) for a while they become female. females become the larger of two clowns ( in a pair). your best shot at a pair is to get a smaller clown ( likely male ) to go with your larger lonely clown ( likely femalE ).

jjohnson3

Hmm. I don't know why it would be hard. I am not a fan of true pers anyway really. Id rather have false percs.

new reefer 03

If possible, take the old clown out and add the new one in. Let him settle and then add the old one.

good idea. if you want to you can take out the current clown, and rearange your rocks ( no territory then ). then put both clowns in at the same time.

Curgan

Also, your tank, IMO, with all those fish was overstocked. You had (with the Kole and goby) 26 inches of adult fish. I've seen a lot of figures for inches per gallon as far as stocking goes, but NEVER have I seen anything say an inch per every 2 gallons.
all of the fish in my tank are pretty small... the tang was also small, about 2 inches long... when the tang was in the tank there was about 13 "inches of fish" in the tank...

your best shot at a pair is to get a smaller clown ( likely male )
thats what i want to do... ill go check out the local stores tonight and start looking for one...

How about an Anthia or flame hawk? ive always thought these where cool fish but never took care of them before...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Both are really COOL fish.

Anthia is something I want in one of my next tanks but they are known to need several feedings a day which I can't and wont provide so I stay away for now.

Flame Hawk is a REALLY neat fish but they LOVE to eat smaller items in the tank (fish, shrimp, etc).

jjohnson3

Curgan, the idea is to consider the adult size of the fish you are buying. Just because that cute little tang was 2 inches this month, next year it might be 5inches! You have to consider that. I believe the Kole Tangs grows to a length of 7''. I would do no more than 27-28 inches of fish in a 55. This is adult fish sizes too. The true percs will grow to be 3-4 inches each.