time for a new camera

lgerold

Hi again!

Boy, this has been tough! I think I have decided instead to go with the Nikon D-80. I read from some of the reviews, that it's easier to handle, and has a better viewfinder.

So, now I am trying to figure out the lens thing.

I'd like a nice macro to take photos of the tank, of course. I'd also use the macro for flower photos. I have an awesome pond with perennials for landscaping.

But, I'd also like a nice general purpose lense for taking the puppy pictures. Generally, I'm about 3 feet from the pups. I'd like to have some sort of anti-shake system in the lens, because I am not always the one taking the pictures. Others are not as good at holding still, and squeezing that trigger gently!

I get lost when I look at the numbers (in mms) of the lenses. I came across the following lens, but I'd like to have an opionion regarding it's use as a general lens, especially for the puppies.

The AF-S VR Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF is yet another new lens for Nikon D-series digital SLRs. With an equivalent coverage of 105-450mm in 35mm photography, it employs Nikon's enhanced Vibration Reduction (VRII) technology for steady shots as well as Silent Wave motor (AF-S) for super fast and quiet autofocus, Extra-Low Dispersion glass (ED) for minimized chromatic aberrations, and Internal Focusing (IF) for convenient and balanced handling. Other features include a distance information guide window, a reliable metal lens mount for years of durability, and a M/A mode for seamless switching between autofocus and manual modes.

Can anyone explain the mm numbers to me?

Thanks so much!:flower:

Gibeon

The mm is millimeters (length of lens from front element to focal plane (where the sensor is if I remember correctly. On a 35mm camera (the 35mm there is the film size) a 50mm lens is roughly equivilant to the same angle of view your eyes have naturally. The Shorter the lens (ie 24mm is shorter than 50mm) the wider the angle of view. The Longer the lens, the smaller the angle of view (more magnification).

On most DSLR's, because the sensors are smaller than the film they are replacing, there is a "Crop Factor" (also refered to as a 1.5x magnification, but that's not really true... potAto/potato kind of thing)

Nikon uses a "DX" size sensor which equates to a 1.5x crop factor magnification which is why they say the 70-300mm = 105 to 450mm on a Nikon Digital. On your Nikon Digital a "natural" view can be had with a 35mm lens.

This lens should be a great lens. Nikon claims the VR is good for 4 stops of vibration reduction, it has the silent wave motor (FAST autofocus, and you can refocus any time you want manually). The one thing you might be disappointed in is that it is a little long for the puppy photography. A lens of this length would be good for head and shoulders portraits from about 8 to 10 feet.

If you can find it, spend the extra $200 or so to buy the 18-200mm VR lens from Nikon. It is AWESOME, but is hard to come by, and it has a much better usable range. (The difference between 200mm and 300mm is not that great magnification wise.) Also, if you don't like you can sell it on eBay for about the same price as you buy it.

For Macro photography of the fish tank, I would seriously consider an inexpensive point and shoot (Nikon L1 maybe?) I know it sounds crazy, but you can get as close in and as sharp for $100 less than a macro lens. If you do buy a macro lens, I really like the 105mm macros from Nikon or Sigma. The sigma is less expensive and a little slower to focus. The benefit of this size macro lens is that you won't have to be IN the fish tank to get 1:1 reproduction. For ~50mm macro lenses (less expensive) maximum magnification is usually around 8" from the sensor plane (so you have to subtract the length of the lens.

Hope that Helps.

P.S. I own the Nikon D-70s and love it.