time for a new camera

lgerold

Yep, I read the thread about buying a new camera, but the thread is pretty old.

I'm pretty ignorant about the fancy terms etc, that are involved when you research the individual cameras. I spent several hours today trying to figure out what to buy.:columbo: And, most of the information I found on line did not show the close up distance.

So, I thought I'd start a new thread.

I've got a Kodak DX7590 EasyShare camera, which, for the most part, takes nice general photos. The color is accurate, it's incredibly easy to use, but since cameras keep getting better and better, I figure it's time to upgrade. This Kodak is weak in a few areas - macro, red-eye, rapid fire.

A few of the necessities:

I would like to take rapid fire photos - I need the camera for photographing our puppies. We own a kennel! Puppies are just about as uncooperative as fish when it comes to taking pictures.

I'd like the camera to take photos of the reef. This camera that I have now has a hard time deciding what to focus on in the reef. So, a better focusing method or manual focus option is needed.

I'd like a built in flash, and the ability to piggyback another flash. The flash that you put on a hot shoe is so cumbersome, I expect that it would be very awkward photograping the puppies.

It would be great if the camera had a general purpose lens that would also take good macro photos, but I suppose I could change lenses for the macro shots.

On the Kodak, I use the viewfinder to take the pictures - it's an SLR (or is it SLR like?) so it's wysiwyg. I like to use the viewfinder to take the pictures because it saves on batteries, and I have too hard of a time watching the LCD and the subject at the same time. Using the viewfinder, I can just leave the one eye open to watch what's going on.

Now, let me hear about the cameras you have, what you like about them, and what you don't like about them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:dance:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hello Lucy. If you want to devote the time to learn an SLR, they make great still cameras but be prepared to lug around a camera case filled with optional lenses ;) I am new to the d-SLR world but love my Nikon D80. I might suggest it or the Canon XTi digital rebel. If you're interested in a pre-owned camera, there are many used dslr cameras on the market (check your area for craigslist.com for listings).

There are also some very nice point and shoot cameras on the market. The Sony H5 that I tried out prior to my recent Nikon purchase was a very nice camera with great optical zoom and video capabilities. It was weak in regards to super macro shooting though. I took approx 150 photos and several videos and was pleasantly surprised with the quality. It does have different functions to choose from; one of which captures fast moving objects.... it literally freezes the motion! It is great point and shoot camera that most would be thrilled with.

lgerold

Thank you for your comments. I'll be researching the Nikon D80 and the Canon Xti digital rebel. I'll let you know what I think.

I'd love others to comment too! It's a big purchase, and I'd like to make sure I do it right!

Witfull

search for a canon G-3, i love mine and you can get one for a LOT less than i got mine for now~

DrBCool

witfull , is this the same camera you used to take all your winning photos with ? I am having a hard time finding one online ... Were they a rare camera or what ?....lol.... Limited production maybe ....

DrBCool

Anyone ever use or know anyone who uses the Kodak Z710 ? I have been looking at it at Wal Mart and found a good package deal at Beach Cameras .. Just curious as to how tank shots would be with it ..

Witfull

all my pics are with the G-3. it was a full production model. its a few yrs old now it was replaced by the G-5.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I started my search at consumerreports.com. I really like their unbiased research.

DrBCool

blue eyes did you take the avatar picture with your Dimage ? How is it as far as stability goes ? Does it have a stabilizer for the shaky handed people ..ME !!!!!!!! LOL ...

Edit: Never mind I just found that the Dimage Z3 is the first in the Dimage series to incorperate the anti shake mechanism :) Not a bad price on the Dimage Z1 I found for $190 delivered .. Am looking at the other Dimage series cameras now

Edit 2 : I found the Konica -Minolta Dimage Z3 for $256.50 here is a link to the website just incase you are interested in it ...
http://www.cameraforless.com/itemdetail.asp?itemid=1840
that is the best one I found new found lots of refurbished ones ..

Gibeon

DrBCool said:
Edit 2 : I found the Konica -Minolta Dimage Z3 for $256.50 here is a link to the website just incase you are interested in it ...
http://www.cameraforless.com/itemdetail.asp?itemid=1840
that is the best one I found new found lots of refurbished ones ..

DrB, Unfortunately Minolta stopped selling, manufacturing and supporting cameras at the end of March this year. The Z3 came out in Mid 2004, so if you buy one new, it's been sitting in a box for at least 6 months if not a year.

I would like to recommend that you check out dpreview.com for specs and reviews (not all cameras are reviewed, but quite a few are) and adorama.com and bhphotovideo.com for "reality checks" on pricing. I've found that they tend to have the best honest prices on the web and are very good for checking out deals that sound too good to be true.

HTH-Gib

lgerold

I'm not Blue Eyes, but I'm pretty proud of the picture on my avatar. I took that picture this spring in our yard with our Kodak DX7590 EasyShare. I had to zoom in quite a bit. No time for a tripod, so I could only lean against our car and hope for the best. There were two eagles in the yard at the time, one chasing the other around.

DrBCool

That is a much better shot of an eagle than I got in the mountains of West Virginia .. My meek little Fuji MX120 just couldn't bring the majestic bird in .. I know he is there , the little white spec in the tree ...lol ... I needed ZOOM for it

lgerold

Upon further research, I don't see that it offers the anti-shake technology. Hmm. Am I correct?

For the tank photography, I'll use a tripod, but for the puppy photos, it would be great to have the anti-shake system.

Anyone with experience or better at reading the details about the cameras?

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I don't see that it offers the anti-shake technology.

Canon and Nikon dslrs do not offer IS technology "in camera" you have to buy IS (image stabilization) or VR (vibration reduction) lenses. So it is offered, but on a lens by lens basis.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
:hallo: Hi Kevin. My Nikon coolpix 995 finally quit on me. I think the on/off switch is fried. That was a great camera that won a lot of contests for me.