Tigahboy's 30g Reef

Tigahboy

took a dremel to my acan lord colony tonight. Check out the frag on the left side. About 4 full polyps and 2 halfies.

0202a.jpg

everything was going great until my hand slipped and the dremel accidentally mangled one of the polyps on the right side a little:

0202b.jpg

=/ oh well. I'm sure they'll heal. they still look good considering the pic was taken like 5 minutes after fraggin. =)

Last edited:

livingreef2004

OUTSTANDING TANK!!!!!!!!!
that thing looks great definitly tank of the month material oh thats right we dont have a totm contest hmmmmmm?

great job and welcome to RS

btw that teardrop maxima is really beautiful

Tigahboy

Wow. thanks for the very kind words, livingreef2004! And thanks for the welcome.

I got both clams from killercorals.com. The guy who runs it is WAY cool and he gets nice stuff in from time to time. I've been impressed by all his clams thus far. most of the stuff they dont post on the website tho.

And here's some progression pics...the first pic is a little after I transferred everything from my via aqua 28g to my current set-up.

progress816.jpg

progress921.jpg

progress1026.jpg

progress1118.jpg

progress1129.jpg

progress0120.jpg

I've gone thru a lot of re-aquascaping attempts and added LR gradually throughout the entire process. I'm finally at a point where I feel satisfied w/ my rockwork and the amount of LR. =)

Tigahboy

Up until recently, I was using a Sony Cybershot 2 MP.

Now I'm using a Nikon 4100 - 4MP...the pictures are so much better w/ the Nikon. I also use a tripod now and that has improved my photos tenfold.

well, that and actually learning how to take reef shots more effectively from another reefer.

Maxx

Tigahboy said:
Here's the frag I cut last night as of this morning. already looks a lot better. =)

0203a.jpg

It would look alot better in my tank!

:drooool: :drooool: :drooool: :drooool:

yoshiod9

horrible pics and disgusting tank! stop posting already...gosh! :D

tank is looking good and you did a good job on the lord frag(with the exception of the mangling, of course!) dennis.

Tigahboy

thanks tarasco!

and I guess thanks yoshiod9. i see you around too much, man. hahhaah. just playin. =P

the mangling looks very very minimal as of right now. I can hardly tell that it got botched on. =)

yoshiod9

what can i say? you're following me! lol. you just have a nicer tank, that's all!

well, wish me luck this weekend...i'm gonna go down to the bay area and hit up as many quality stores as i can and try to find some lord(or something equally as nice!). if i don't find anything i guess i'll buy a dremel and frag the hillae. :D

Tigahboy

i'm impressed that the bay just carries lords at the LFS. I havent seen any yet here in even socal LFS's. (i know SD lfs's have em tho).

why oh why did i ever move down to L.A.?! haha.

Tigahboy

Green Sun Coral!

I've been lookin for a sun coral w/ some less common colors. Finally found one!

Here's my newest addition up close (a bad picture tho):

0205a.jpg

And some more showing it's great green color!

0205c.jpg

0205b.jpg

Hard to take a really good pic of these guys since they are in a shaded area. But they have a deep green body w/ light/lime green polyps!

He already opened up for me the first day in my possession. I can't wait to see it fully extended tho. will post pics when it does. =)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Congratulations!! Nice~~ I've never had a sun coral. I hear they are high maintenance when it comes to feeding them.

Tigahboy

Thank you! They do require frequent target feeding and such, but since I have to do all that stuff w/ my acan anyway, I figured it wouldn't be that much more work.

Maxx

Very cool! There is a thread on RC where someone was able to bring back a whole colony of Black sun coral polyps that were in really bad shape. It required alot of attention, but she did good. If you want, I can try and dig that thread up, and post you a link to it...

Nick