This can't be good...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Well glass is made from sand, it's just recycling what we stripped from the land. Seems like a good idea to me.:D

its going to be a crushed glass just like sand... i dont think it would bother any marine life sounds like a good recycling idea

kathywithbirds

I don't know. It's not "natural" stuff. I agree with what was said at the end of the article, there's no way of knowing the long term effects of this.

DrHank

I tend to agree with Scott. Glass is made from silica sand I doubt that use for beach restoration would result in adverse effects.

tbittner

I just wonder how fine they will crush it. It wouldn't have to be real fine for it to not affect bare human feet. But how will it feel to small, delicate, borrowing critters? Will it "cut" them?

Time will tell I guess.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I wonder what happens when it gets pulverized, dried in the sun then picked up by the wind and blown in your eyes and inhaled, glass is a very irritating substance, our contractors here use it to back fill foundations and it gets tracked everywhere, I think it should be reserved for mixing with asphalt for roadways or turned back into bottles

tbittner

Great point sasquatch. But they are trying to solve two problems with one solution. Filling in their eroded beaches and eliminating some of the waste going to the dump.

I just think they can think of better things to use. TONS of sandstone available. It's also unfortunate that people must have sand to enjoy the ocean. The best vacation I've had was spending six weeks on Kauai and I snorkled for a big part of it, as did my son. We had a GREAT time. Kauai really doesn't have the big sandy beaches.

But, to each their own I guess. :)

tbittner

Ok, I've been reading about the Play Sand that Lowes and Home Depot sells and the discussion leads to the Silicates in the sand so it's advisable to not use it in our tanks.

Isn't crushed glass going to be FULL of silicates? Not to mention the warnings put on these bags of play sand about inhaling the dust possibly causing serious health issues. And what will that do to the Ocean when a storm blows through and this crushed glass (which is full of silicates) gets washed out into the ocean?

naperenterprise

I saw this before, it looks and feels just like sand, i believe they put it threw a tumbler machine that takes away all the sharp edges, and crushes it down even more, then it filtered through a screen before used.

Out tanks are glass, do they cause silicate problems? Curious?

I think when glass is heated to a certain point everything is sealed in. Plus the sand will be tumbling ob the shore line after the rip tide so it should be fine...

Another thing... I was in the Navy years ago and one thing that bothered me is how the large ships would dump the garbadge right into the ocean once or twice a week. There would be a line of visible trash for miles... It always bothered me... did you all know that? Metal, etc...

tbittner

It would be interesting to get some of it and test it for silicates. Might be a solution to the really expensive silicate free sand we buy for our tanks.

That is, if the silicates are truly locked inside the grains... :dunno:

JoJo

I know some cruise line just got slapped with a huge fine because i customer filmed them dumping all their trash off the side of the ship at like 2 a.m., thinking everyone was sleep. sorry for the highjack Terry.:threadjack:

SJS

It's an interesting propostion, but needs to be thoroughly studied, sounds like they've done some research, wonder how close they are to actually starting a project like that???

tbittner

I think the fact of the matter is that beach towns don't have much regard towards the life in the ocean. Look at the HUGE dredge projects they run in order to drag the sand back out of the ocean to build the beach back up.

So I'm not sure they would spend a lot of money testing the ground up glass for potential issues it would cause the ocean. They are only concerned with building up the beach so the tourists will continue to come and spend money.

PEMfish

"The county tested a small patch of glass sand on a dry patch of beach last year, using sensors to measure effects of heat and moisture. Scientists have also conducted laboratory tests that show organisms and wildlife can thrive in the material just like natural sand, they said. The county is awaiting a permit to test glass sand in the surf zone."-Article

I doubt they really do as much testing as is sounds.
Terry, you make a good point.

naperenterprise

True... very true...

I think the fact of the matter is that beach towns don't have much regard towards the life in the ocean. Look at the HUGE dredge projects they run in order to drag the sand back out of the ocean to build the beach back up.

So I'm not sure they would spend a lot of money testing the ground up glass for potential issues it would cause the ocean. They are only concerned with building up the beach so the tourists will continue to come and spend money.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I don't have a problem with it. I am always in awe at how powerful us humans think we are. In the end, nature will erode the beaches and we will have no choice but to fall back.

JoJo

Frankies right, just north of me is Clearwater Beach & they've knocked down the waterfront properties & closed off a road to make more beach area. Just south of me on Pass-A-Grille Beach(where we got married) the shore is eroding so fast the city is building tide barriers. its getting bad, i would rather them try something then let it keep getting worse.

tbittner

Along the NaPali coast on Kauaii, there is one of the prettiest beaches you'd ever care to stick your toes in. During the winter, it completely disappears. During the spring/summer, it reappears and builds back up again.

And I mean there isn't a speck of sand left during the winter...