Thinkin of going non DIY LED

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Fyi if ur just looking for something basic controller wise the Neptune apex can b had for under 400

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I know the radions might be out of your price rang but it seems like they are what you're looking to replicate. I have 2 of them and they are pretty slick and I "think" they are holding their value pretty good.....that's also something to think about. You can do a lot with the controllers too so its all in how tricky you want to get

Tru2nr

Yeah i see profilux has a real basic controller thats essentially a power strip that still simulates storms n clouds and such. Debating now if i would want AI sols or apollos they are both the same price

...60% of the time it works every time

dmatt88

Tough call. Ai makes a good light. Apollo makes a hot lamp. Par galore. In a tall tank id prefer apollo, however do realize that most apollo users Max their intensity of lamps around 60-70%

dmatt88

BigAl took care of the details. Id contact him again. He is a super guy.

dmatt88

Steve will know. Devon probably does too.

Built347

I don't know for sure but I'm almost positive it has profiles which would imply features like that... before anyone buys the Jr I would urge them to consider the full apex... besides the fact that u get alot more the expandability is infinite... not so much with the junior

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Tru2nr

All im looking for in a controller is light controllability...maybe very slim chance but never say never id like to control vortecs...so the jr is exactly what im looking for i feel

...im growing a reef not reefer!

Built347

All im looking for in a controller is light controllability...maybe very slim chance but never say never id like to control vortecs...so the jr is exactly what im looking for i feel

Man even a junior will do SOO much more than that.. I absolutely love my apex.. it makes multiple tanks a breeze.. but dude if your only real interest is advanced controlability ( just guessing from your previous post) then Apollo may not be right for you.. aqua illumination's are a ton more flexible and they do storms and lightning well... Apollos will not do lightning.. I was told Apollo opted to not add lightning as a feature because it degraded overall quality of the driver to make it possible... after extensive research I chose Apollo because they are monsters.. they nearly doubled par of anything on the market at the time... Matt was a little generous with his 60-70%.. mine max at 50% in a 30" tank.. also I read that the AI runs 3 watts through 2 watt leds.. Apollo has 3 watt leds that I run at 50%..Logic is telling me which one will last longer.. at the time I really wanted lightning and storms and cool stuff too but after reading about its uselessness allong with many reports of the lightning just plain scaring the fish I was not as set on it.. before I openly bash the sols any more I would like to say that from what I've read many people love em.. they are obviously a good light and would be a good choice if your interest is solely the storms.. it was just obvious to me which one was better at the important stuff.. good luck buddy.. your shopping the right products. :)

BLADEYAMAHA

Thanks Devon, all this info is helping me too, cause I may be soon owning some of the big boy stuff too, not sure though. Hoping though.

Tru2nr

Man even a junior will do SOO much more than that.. I absolutely love my apex.. it makes multiple tanks a breeze.. but dude if your only real interest is advanced controlability ( just guessing from your previous post) then Apollo may not be right for you.. aqua illumination's are a ton more flexible and they do storms and lightning well... Apollos will not do lightning.. I was told Apollo opted to not add lightning as a feature because it degraded overall quality of the driver to make it possible... after extensive research I chose Apollo because they are monsters.. they nearly doubled par of anything on the market at the time... Matt was a little generous with his 60-70%.. mine max at 50% in a 30" tank.. also I read that the AI runs 3 watts through 2 watt leds.. Apollo has 3 watt leds that I run at 50%..Logic is telling me which one will last longer.. at the time I really wanted lightning and storms and cool stuff too but after reading about its uselessness allong with many reports of the lightning just plain scaring the fish I was not as set on it.. before I openly bash the sols any more I would like to say that from what I've read many people love em.. they are obviously a good light and would be a good choice if your interest is solely the storms.. it was just obvious to me which one was better at the important stuff.. good luck buddy.. your shopping the right products. :)

I appreciate the help...at least you've settled my debate on a controller lol

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just for the record Lightning does NOT scare the fish! I've been running it for several years now and have yet to see the first sign of a spooked fish because of the lightning. You have to understand that lightning is a very natural and COMMON component in the ocean. Because of the vast expanse of the ocean a the fish are in almost no harm unless in very shallow waters so for the most part fish don't pay lightning much attention. Here's what I've observed from my ProfiLux based lightning (created from SimuL fixture):

My "Storms" come up slowly and depart slowly. As the main lights dim all the tank goes into sort of their "night time" mode. As the storm gets closer the main lights keep dimming as the lightning increased in frequency and intensity. During the "middle" of the storm all system lights are OFF and lightning is at it's most intense! As the storm departs lightning slacks off and main tank lights slowly ramp back up to their pre-storm state (or the current state if it's changed during the storm).

The whole time the STORM is happening the fish are chilling out and some go into their sleeping area and hang out. After about 10 minutes after the storm everything is back to normal.

I'm just wanting people to know that the lightning, from my experience, does not spook the fish at all and even though it doesn't have any real BENEFIT to the tank it also doesn't HARM the tank. It ranks WAY up there on the COOL factor... at least for me... :)

Built347

I agree Al.. it is super cool.. I wish mine could do it... if I remember correctly you were one of the few people that responded to my lightning question with no ill feedback.. there are allot of claims around the web that it spooks fish but I guess everyone's experience will vary... n this is the internet were talking about... lol.. my purchase decision was based on performance where it counts.. I was and am slightly disappointed that my lights are not capable of quick dim and flash but they do make up for it with a heavyweight punch imo... like I said before not one brand has been mentioned in this thread that I or anyone else would recommend staying away from... now u must just find which one suits your desires best... good luck.. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Devon I didn't mean that to be pointed at you in the least... I apologize if it reads that way :) I was more or less just putting that out there for whoever reads it in regards to lightning.

I do know that it takes some special "trickery" to get LED to be able to flash in a manner that even remotely resembles lightning. I've seen several units that claim to do lightning and it's severely lacking in regards to be quick enough to be considered lightning-ish. My LED wont do lightning but my GHL SimuL does and so does the GHL SimSpot! This was a way to have my cake and eat it too :) I got these LONG before LED was considered so it wasn't an issue for my main LED array to not be able to "do" lightning.

dmatt88

On this subject I will say clouds r cool. They surprise everybody watching including me.

Built347

No worries pal, it takes a lot more than a lightning dispute to get under my skin... :D. You gonna have to do better get me fired up.. lmao!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
On this subject I will say clouds r cool. They surprise everybody watching including me.

I have to agree. The more units you have on "Cloud Simulation" the better. My next tank will have units that will handle the "hand off" from one to another to enable clouds to "Roll" across the tank.

I love CLOUDS and Rainy days!!