Things i'll never have in my tank period!!!

Which ones you'll never have, or have again in your tank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

I personally don't like this poll. Either make it one or the other. If you wouldn't have it in your tank it is because you researched and knew ahead of time not to add it.

If you wouldn't do it again it is because of personal experience. Uneducated or other.

just sayin'

Plus like a Mantis, most of the time those come as hitchhikers.. who adds one to a tank that isn't set up to handle such a predator?

So sorry, i'm sure you never make mistake then.....:bs:

tektite

No limpets!!! I had a couple hitchhiker keyhole limpets, one was pretty big. They were fine, until one overnight ate an entire colony of bright orange tunicates that I really liked. Its in the mantis area now :look:

LPS_Blasto

SPS or leathers of any kind. Just don't like them.
I prefer LPS, zoas, polyps and mushrooms.

Eel - I'm a reefer, not a fish keeper. No place for an eel in my reef.

Octopus - for obvious reasons.

Anenome - nothing like an unhappy anenome to walk around and sting every coral in the tank. There's $3500 worth of dead coral in the tank the next day. UHHHHHHHHHH, no thank you.

reefs reefs

not a very big fan of the mantis shrimp. They look extremely cool but sometimes its better to look and not touch lol.

chromefaery

Hermit crabs are the most vile and underhanded beasties offered. It doesn't matter how much you target feed them, how many shells you leave them or how many sizes you give them, they will devour all live snails at the earliest opportunity. I lost three turbo snails and two cerith snails to just TWO hermits, not to mention they killed the third hermit I had in with them. Never again. My tanks are doing wonderfully now with only three mithrax crabs, four or so ceriths(some came in as hitchhikers on liverock), three turbo snails(growing very fast) & two astrea snails. Never had algae problems. I feed these animals several times weekly.

CaRSMDuke

I have eliminated the hermits from my tank. They are definately snail eaters and as they become large are agressive carnivores. My all snail cuc does a great job and their numbers remain constant w/o the crabs.
I also voted against Otopus as I beleive that they are only suited to a species tank of larger proportion than my 130D.

Basile

Wow i was gone only a month and all these responce, this thread really took off. Sorry for those with starfish , i forgot you lol. :jumprope:

If I ever catch that skunk cleaner shrimp, Ill never have another one. Its good to have him to clean the fish, but he has taken to tormenting my torch, and my GSP

LadyAqua

I HATE bristle worms! The second I see one I make it my goal for the day to kill it. Just the other day I caught a big one in a new piece of live rock, it was about 1/4" thick and 8" long :nono: . After seeing what they can do if you touch them they became my enemy from day 1. They are few and far between in any of my tanks:).

Damsels: We had a damsel when we began our very first tank 5 yrs. ago. Never again! That fish bullied everything we had in that tank, so we had to take apart all the live rock just to get the thing:evileye: . I view damsels as the "Goldfish of Saltwater".

I don't like hermits, but my hubby insists on having them. They are snail killers and they cannibalize their own:(. They are fail in my opinion but I have not won that argument yet with the hubs. :waa:

I had a mantis shrimp (haven't we all?!) when I first got my tank. I bought some live rock and didn't know anything about dipping it...just trusted the guy in the LFS that there was nothing on it.
In the end my husband bought me a trap to get it out and it worked within half an hour! I'd tried the glass method but the damn thing refused to climb up the rocks!

Tab964

WVUReefer what is wrong with Elegance coral? I was wanting one.

Hermits do eat snails. I have lost many to them. They needed the shell. I have more problems with snails knocking things over on the frag racks than from hermits.

snarf

no more GSP..it grows over everything in it's path no matter how much you trim it, it grows back twice as fast. Lost too many corals to let that happen again.

Breathe13stars

1) Xenia: will completely take over a tank if you let it.

2) Emerald crab: Dont know what the deal was but i had one that killed 3 of my fish and then ate them.

3) Sleeper Banded Goby: Covers corals with sand constantly, not to mention makes to tank cloudy. maybe its just mine I dunno.

4) Powder Blue Tang (Ich magnets): had one wipe out an entire tank, QT is extremely important with them.

5) Goniopora: I couldnt keep this species alive for more than two weeks, I think it's one thats best left in the ocean.

6) Copper Banded Butterfly: Another species I had no luck with.

I know there is people out there that are successful keeping all of these with no problems, this is just my own personal experience.