Things i'll never have in my tank period!!!

Which ones you'll never have, or have again in your tank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

Time for a bit of fun and quiz. We all had them, we all suffered from them, we all are embarassed by them. Things we bought thinking they would be cool and then just exploded in are face, over run are tanks, ate are best corals, killed are fave inverts, been a nuisance for as long as you can remember, some are still there cause you just can't catch it!!! From my selection chooose the one that really you'll never have again. And if its not in the list post it, Tell us how you got rid of yours by the way you may help someone by mistake lol.

Basile

Don't forget to tell us what happen and how you dealth with it.

Me i had 2 welks thinking they where conch, they where sold to me as conch. But turn out they decimated my astrias, 6 in all, they when back to the store and i got a refund. So bough a tiger cowrie.... it ate part of a sponge, my starfish and some starpolyp. This one i cooked, and ate him. I'm french remember....With a chablis 2006, very good.

Adam Black

I've never had a anemone and probably never will. They scare me. All soft corals do actually. Another one would be a clown goby. I had one and it would chill on my sps and irritate them.

seafansar

I will never buy another convict tang again. I bought one when I first started. It was cool, but went crazy for some reason. Just darted back and forth in a frenzy, then act calm again, and then crazy again. It died in a copper treatment. So I bought another one. I was crazy from the start. Kept all the other fish hiding. It looked like there were no fish in the tank, cause it sared them so much. I sold it and I guess it immediately killed one of the guy's other tangs! And a month later jumped out committing suicide. My guess is that they like to be in schools. But I have seen a few pictures of them in other people's tanks and they look just fine. I wish mine had acted normal, cause I really like the way they look.

Let's see, most of the stuff I chose, I just would never buy. Either cause I don't think it would be a good idea or I think they are ugly.

Oh and did you mean to put "arrow crab" instead of "spider crab"? My dad had two arrow crabs in his tank. He liked them, but I don't.

And for you people who chose emerald crabs, did you have a bad experience with them? I have about 8 in my tank and so far they've been well mannered.

Jeremy0322

I had an emerald and it was pleasant, but there are stories out there that once they get bigger they can start picking at corals and maybe even fish. However, this is like everything in the hobby, many stars will start eating fish as they grow up.

BLAKEJOHN

I removed all my crabs from the tank. They would eat more snails than algae or leftovers. Since I removed them and restocked with snails my tank has been cleaner than ever. I have my cleaner shrimp and 2 Eng. gobies that get any remaining foods (and bristle worms).

Adam Black

I removed all my crabs from the tank. They would eat more snails than algae or leftovers. Since I removed them and restocked with snails my tank has been cleaner than ever. I have my cleaner shrimp and 2 Eng. gobies that get any remaining foods (and bristle worms).

I have also thought about taking my hermits out, but what did you replace them with? What else do you have cleaning your sand?

BLAKEJOHN

I have also thought about taking my hermits out, but what did you replace them with? What else do you have cleaning your sand?

Snails and bristle worms....dwarf Cerith snails..during the day they are all buried in the sand (kinda cool the sand moves). They come out onto the glass at night if there is any algae there.

Jeremy0322

Snails and bristle worms....dwarf Cerith snails..during the day they are all buried in the sand (kinda cool the sand moves). They come out onto the glass at night if there is any algae there.

Is there any place online that sells bristle worms, i would love to get a few, I dont have any since my rock was all SUPER cured before i put it in the tank :(

Basile

What kind of hermith do you have. I when through the same dilemma. And after talking to a very knowledgable guy. He said that the worst hermith are the blue leg ones. They are very agressive and kill and eat each other. So i removed those and replaced them, with Hawaian, red leg, and a couple of other kind of hermiths. Now the reason to keep some around is when your sanils die, and some eventually do the hermith will clean them out . Because if you only have snail, who's gona take care of your dead snails. Nassarius snail are good yes thats true, but a few well chosen hermith id good, they do certain thing that snails just don't do well. that my take on it. I don't have lots of them but a few and they are very peacefull with the rest of the snails.

jgking21

I voted for "A kind of fish": Damsels! Most of them are mean and it's hard to keep other fish with them. I've only had luck with Clowns, all others seem to pick on anyone else in the tank.
As for Blue Legs, I just keep a few in the tank. Like Basile said, they help clean up other dead snails.

Basile

I don't see a place for candy cane shrimp.

Well like i said i posted a broad list of possibilities and those not mention, you can write them in a post and tell us all about it. What about candy shrimp? Tell us.Welcome to the forum...

thearnley

Don't see Peppermint Shrimp on the list. Will NEVER have another one of those. Ate my aptaisia - then started munching on my coral - my $130 elegance was the last straw - tore everything apart to take them out.

Basile

Don't see Peppermint Shrimp on the list. Will NEVER have another one of those. Ate my aptaisia - then started munching on my coral - my $130 elegance was the last straw - tore everything apart to take them out.

Well; aren't we buying them to eat apstaisias???? i understand the about some corals though.

BigJay

I meant peppermint shrimp btw. Not sure why I put candy cane.. perhaps cause my daughter was asking for a candy cane a few minutes before. :java:

they are not reef safe... period.

novanosis

:LOL: LOL!

Its ok Jay, My coworker was wondering if I had lunch earlier with all my grunts and forgeting what our abbreviations ment. She was right, so I took my lunch after that.. :coffee: