These lights any good?

jgking21

Has anyone seen these lights before?

250W Metal Halide Pendant Lights

I am looking to hang a metal halide over a 54 Gal Corner, thought this was nice cause you could add the T5's later. Money is kind of any issue at this time, I'm upgrading from a 25 Gal so most of my money is in the tank and filter right now.

Thanks for the info!
Justin

DaveK

The fixture seems to be ok, and they do claim it's got an electronic ballast. I also like the design, where you can hook T5s on the the MH pendants.

However, the price on the fixture and the bulbs seems too good to be true. Also, in checking the contact information, there is an incomplete regular mail address. To me these are red flags. The company could be legitimate, but if you do buy from them use a major credit card, so that you can force a refund if they never ship or there are other problems.

jgking21

Thanks! From what I've found out, their bulbs are not that good. But I don't mind buying better bulbs on my own. I've been emailing them and they seem to be upgrading their product so they are out of stock on some items. Seem to be specializing in lighting, I think I'm going to give them a try. I'll keep everyone posted!

morbius18

Sounds like the Jebo/odyssea that they sell on ebay. I have one of the 250 MH fixtures, and it came with an electronic ballast. I just had to replace the bubls, but it work really well.

jgking21

so i ordered the light over the weekend, got a tracking number for fedex today. shipping across country so probably won't have it until next week. check for a posting, fishneetit.com lights, i will try to give a good review and pictures of the unit.

jgking21

Hey everyone, I got the unit. But the ballast is bad! I got with them and they are sending me a new one out today! The ballast is a Brilliant Electronic Ballast. It won't stop humming even after the light warms up. I'll get some photos of the unit by the weekend, been sick with the flu this week!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about the ballast and even more so the stinking FLU!

Hope you're feeling MUCH better soon :D

Sunhot

Well~~ as long as they send you the new one, I think it will okay!! You will have a better one~~

By the way which one did you buy? 150W or 250W or combo. And can you let me know where those light made from?

Thank you!!

jgking21

Okay, so here are some pics, I went big so you can see things. I took apart the unit and there really isn't much to it. Since the ballast is bad I really haven't been able to test the light. I think I had it running about 30 minutes and the unit stayed pretty cool, no fans in the unit. Plenty of vents on sides and a fish design on the top. The light buld is a ReLighting, don't think it will be any good. The reflector is smooth, does anyone think the dippled is better? As I had said the ballast is a, Brilliant Electronic Ballast. I think the electronic is better than the magnetic, anyone? The unit I got is the 250 W and I went with the 20K buld. A new ballast is on the way, so I hope to have pictures of it running next week. Also, I'm new to M/H, so any questions you have to test this light, let me know!

100_0280.jpg

100_0281.jpg

100_0282.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input!

jgking21

Okay, I got the new ballast today. Ran the unit on my tank for about an hour, wow the unit was hot. I'll be hanging it from the ceiling and plan on having a fan blow across the unit and try to get the heat away. One question, the ballast still humms, is this normal? I understand when it warms up, but this one doesn't stop. It is a very light humm, but I thought they ran silent. Thanks for the help, I'll try to get a picture of it running tomorrow.

yungreefer2410

i'll go listen to my elcetronic mh ballest in a sec. they run hot as a whole as in my mh heats up the top of my hood. i put damp towels up there to dry lol. electronic ballest are supposed to use less electricity i think and are more "green" as a whole. i do not think dippled is better or worse

jgking21

Well the good news is the new tank will be set up in North Carolina, so its a little cooler than Florida. I'm putting it on my 25 Gallon (20 G Extra Tall) now just to get my corals somewhat used to it. I'm just new and realy don't know about these things. Thanks!

Ratpack

Regarding NC, It is only cooler in the winter. The summer is still pretty much the same as Florida.

Keep us updated on the lights, I may be interested in getting some if they work out.