thedru 3rd times a charm RSM250 journey

thedru13

My logic behind this was not to use it as a short cut but more to start the tank in a cleaner way if possible. Didn't trust any of my old rock to use(can't use it now) Could go buy some live rock but didn't want to pick up any unwanted hitch hikers so was thinking of adding this to kick start. Not trying to add anything quicker or speed up the process just do it cleaner if that makes any sense.

mike1970

Get a small piece of live rock from your LFS something small that you can see if the are any pests on it that's all you need, it should only cost a dollar or two . Use that to seed it

Last edited:

newo11

The title of this thread is "3rd times a charm" - I would take it slow and use a raw deli shrimp. No products. You want a full cycle and want to wait it out so that you have a good starting point. You have all dry rock - I would not add live rock as you take the risk of adding a pest or other issue. There is no risk it you use the deli shrimp. Just my 2 cents...

thedru13

Got my skimmer pump installed and running. Water level was a bit high so got that sorted but have a bit of a concern. Noticed at the bottom of the tank where it sits on my base some water and salt creep. Now I am worried I may have a leak somewhere. No clue how i would track that down. :-(

thedru13

Still trying to validate if I have some sort of leak or if this is cause I had my water level to high. I lowered my water level and turned down my MP40 a bit to see if it changes anything. I am going out this weekend to grab some raw shrimp to throw in the tank to start the cycle now that I know all my pumps are working and all things seem to be operational.

I geeked out last night and installed my new bluefish controller.. Wow this thing is cool. Was pretty easy to set up after I figured out how to wire into my existing DIY set up. Love being able to control my lights from my phone. Also love how much more control I have now Really should be able to dial in my lighting. I am going to install an IP Web cam so I can check in through the bluefish app on the tank as well. I do love technology LOL. This waiting is a killer. Want to stock the tank oh so badly... But will resist
7627615228779a010ddfee28f8621c31.jpg

9953ef61e1093e0f7d1792407cb52eb7.jpg

f6f5d44953b3d246c16cccfe2860e326.jpg

fdec81c32759a50845d81196126a118a.jpg

Oxylebius

Noticed at the bottom of the tank where it sits on my base some water and salt creep. Now I am worried I may have a leak somewhere. No clue how i would track that down. :-(

I'd wipe it all off, nice and clean, then watch it daily to see if it forms again. It could have been from a spill that you didn't notice.

In the meantime, get a flashlight out and look closely at all seems to see if the silicon has pulled away or if you have a hair fracture somewhere.

thedru13

I'd wipe it all off, nice and clean, then watch it daily to see if it forms again. It could have been from a spill that you didn't notice.

In the meantime, get a flashlight out and look closely at all seems to see if the silicon has pulled away or if you have a hair fracture somewhere.
Thanks I think it was a combo of the spill and being to full. I cleaned it up and keeping a close eye on it.

thedru13

Was able to get my IP Camera wired up. Went with a cheap one so quality is not great.. Quick video of the controller, lights, and some features.

thedru13

Tank is coming along. Got a few frags.. So now just letting the tank do its thang and hopefully will just keep improving. Testing my water every other day and things are running pretty stable. Just upped my alk and now levels are right where they should be. Now just need to keep them there..
Some recent pics.

thedru13

Water parameter question.
So really trying to keep things healthy and on the right path. Been testing and doing water changes. Dosing with a Magnus bubble 101 dosed with Kent A and B 30ml of a and 60 ml of B per day. Started dosing 10/31. Here are what my numbers look like. Should I back off anything or keep going
18e08ef332c46e57ec94580ce055c2e5.jpg

mike1970

whats your live stock like? that seems like a lot to be dosing in a new tank.
im dosing brightwell A&B and i only dose 15ml of A (CALC) and 10ml of B (ALK) and my tank has lots of SPS
ALK. 8-8.5 DKH
CALC. 430-450PPM
MAG. 1350 PPM
PH 8.4
salinity 1.025 SG

thedru13

whats your live stock like? that seems like a lot to be dosing in a new tank.
im dosing brightwell A&B and i only dose 15ml of A (CALC) and 10ml of B (ALK) and my tank has lots of SPS
ALK. 8-8.5 DKH
CALC. 430-450PPM
MAG. 1350 PPM
PH 8.4
salinity 1.025 SG

so my logic was since my alk readings were so low I used the online calculator and within a day they spiked up.. I don't have any fish at all in the tank. only CUC and 5 corals. All Euphyllia so a mix of hammers and frogspawns right now. No fish at the moment. I wasn't expecting my alk to jump that quick to be honest.