The Uprades are real.. Aww snap.. 6x39w everyone = ) Check me out

So I am very impressed and would just like to share with you guys about this light fixture i got off ebay for 149.90.. Sounds like a piece of junk and from what ive read everywhere nobody never truly tried the unit out to speak upon one. I will have to admit I was worried... This fixture comes with 6bulbs,(Bulbs are likely junk i'm aware lol) mounting legs, and everything is digital. The reflectors may not be the best i've seen but overall for a 150.00 fixture what more could you ask for. 36" 6x39w lighting fixtures aren't very easy to find i've noticed and the ones i have found is kinda over my budget. Some of them have to be mounted from the ceiling which i'm not to fond of doing right now. From my previous light i spent $250.00 i think, it was at my lfs and that doesnt include bulbs. Everything i've been seeing about this fixture is all bogus lies.. Its producing twice as much light i had in there before maybe more. The light fixture itself has a very professional look about it. It's not some ati $1500 unit that has the best of best but for $150.00 I must say I cant begin to complain. I got more than what i was expecting here and if anyone is considering it for an upgrade but is worried about it not producing the light you need. Stop.. I'm glad i didnt cancel my order over these things ive been hearing. They could be referring another brand and not exactly my unit. I only wish I would of done this a year ago but i was so worried about what i have been hearing about them. I just wanted to post this. Everyone, if your considering going 6x39w its awesome = D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140928759760?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
It looks like a nice piece of kit in the eBay ad.
The only thing that I'd keep an eye on is the operating temperature that it reaches, as it looks like the heat self-vents through the holes.
Apart from that, it looks like it could be a beneficial addition to any tank.:thumbup:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the review - this may be a budget value for some... here a pic... good luck with the new light - let us know how it does over time

$_57.JPG

I'm not sure what you mean by self vent but it actually has multiple fans ^^
It looks like a nice piece of kit in the eBay ad.
The only thing that I'd keep an eye on is the operating temperature that it reaches, as it looks like the heat self-vents through the holes.
Apart from that, it looks like it could be a beneficial addition to any tank.:thumbup:

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
I'm not sure what you mean by self vent but it actually has multiple fans ^^

Sorry Cody, it could be my misunderstanding, but as far as I'm aware Thermovents aren't usually powered.
I've used them in the renewables industry in the past, but I've been retired now for a few years.:dunno:
It may be a new development that I've not seen before. :ponder2:
You could be right though. Check it out on Google. :coffee2:

Hmmm.. This seems interesting, I've never heard of thermovent before. I've looked it up and I've found it something with heat and moisture exchange. This is the same thing my fans are used for though.. I can't say even my previous light(coralife 4x39) which was more expensive had a device to do this. Besides a fan haha.. I guess you lost me.. Sorry = [
Sorry Cody, it could be my misunderstanding, but as far as I'm aware Thermovents aren't usually powered.
I've used them in the renewables industry in the past, but I've been retired now for a few years.:dunno:
It may be a new development that I've not seen before. :ponder2:
You could be right though. Check it out on Google. :coffee2:

foxsavage

The only thing I don't like about that light is it doesn't have a reflector for each bulb it has one for each 2. You lose a lot of your efficiency without the individual reflectors for each bulb.

This is true but like i said before i'm not paying for an expensive light that has the same thing i have only just better reflectors. Some of those lights are just kinda ridiculous in my opinion. Anyway I look forward to buying my own reflectors for this light fixture very soon. ^^ For the price I got it for i'm surprised it even came with them lol.. Also, 3-4 days after using this light(Previous light was 4x39w coralife) you can really see the difference in my anemone that ive had for over a year and in all my corals. Not having to turn off and on the lights is a huge help too. I am happy with it and look forward to adding better reflectors soon. I've been looking at this http://www.aquacave.com/TEK2-T5-Reflectors-with-Clips-by-Sunlight-Supply-P1782.aspx
The only thing I don't like about that light is it doesn't have a reflector for each bulb it has one for each 2. You lose a lot of your efficiency without the individual reflectors for each bulb.

puffermike

Anything with the name Aquarium on it is outrageous most of the time. I remember when I paid 50 dollars for a Python water drain and fill hose. After it broke years later I went to home depot and made the same thing for about 15 dollars. In the same hand I've ripped open quite a few light fixtures in the aquarium hobby especially T5's to find out that the guts are filled with the same parts. Granted some other companies have better features, most of the time the top dollar isn't exactly worth it.

Remember Johnson & Johnson makes listerine... and they also make that off brand mouthwash too. They realize some people just like to spend more $$$$$.

saltfan

I have the 4 bulb version on my 55. ( for over a year now ) but mine has fans, Replaced the bulbs with ATI and have no complaints as of yet.

DSCF3811_zps374332e2.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I know individual reflectors are best, no doubt about it, but worth noting the RSM tanks you see a lot of on RS use one large reflector - not the best, but these tanks seem to grow & keep some lovely corals - they seem to work pretty well. Quality bulbs are another key I, like ATI. Hope this encourages anyone having to go with a value fixture.

and husbandry skills & dedication to tank maintenance plays a huge part in maintaing corals it seems to me.

Yeah I own same one. I threw it into the closet after this came in.. I really want ati bulbs as well but my lfs doesnt have them and ordering them online i get a $20.00 s&h.. My lfs has UV bulbs and they're pretty great too. ^^
I have the 4 bulb version on my 55. ( for over a year now ) but mine has fans, Replaced the bulbs with ATI and have no complaints as of yet.

DSCF3811_zps374332e2.jpg

I think the thermovents should be okay. It hasnt got that hot at all so.. I also just read a review of a guy having the same unit for over 2 years. I will keep a good eye out though. = P