The Traveler's Reef

Xenomorph25

You're welcome for the Photobucket help - looks like you have it mastered!

I think the little white things on the Bumblebee snail are most likely Spirorbids - harmless little filter feeders:

Melevsreef.com - Spirorbid Worms

The goby may be a Midas Blenny?

I can't tell for sure from the picture, but that little anemone looks suspiciously like a Majano anemone. If it is I'd advise killing it off with some Aiptasia-X, Joe's Juice or something similar. I left the few that came on my rock, and have learned to regret it. They can multiply a lot, and sting other corals. I've been battling them for years and still can't say I've won the battle.

Nice tank and rock scape, as well as the fish and corals, etc. :)

Tanks Reefmack, Midas Blenny, that sounds right!

I also would have to agree with you on the Majano anemone... After looking through some of the hitch hiker ID pages, it seems like that is what I have...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Deal with the Majanos before they go crazy multiplying. I left the first 3 I had as hitchhikers and they multiplied till they were killing off other corals and fighting for space too. I've finally started to take control of my tank again and have killed a couple hundred in the last month. I gave up on chemicals to kill them as I had too many to kill without killing nearby corals. I finally got one of these from Paul B and it works great:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...-killing-aiptasia-electricity.html#post865515

I can pick off a Majano in the middle of a zoa colony now without killing the surrounding zoas!

Xenomorph25

Here are a few more shots of the hitch hiking anemone...
DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

One with the flash, one without...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Definitely Majano, and it's doing a job on the mushrooms. Time for it to go to Majano heaven!

Xenomorph25

^ HAHAHA

Awesome!!

Sometimes it feels like time traveling ... fall asleep on a jet, wake up somewhere else. Gone from the house for weeks at a time... come home and my daughter is doing something new, like growing a tooth, saying, "mama" (not dada, obviously, lol!) or walking!

On another note, went to the hitchhiker ID forum and got some additional Majano votes... that sucker dies tonight...

Xenomorph25

So, I read somewhere that it is good to run your sump on an opposite schedule (lighting schedule) from the DT. How, it keeps the bacteria and cheato working to purify the water while the DT is sleeping.

Does anyone run their Sump on an opposite schedule? I have been running my sump light from DT lights off to sunrise.

Anyone for or against that?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Reverse lighting on a sump with chaeto or other macroalgae helps use up excess CO2 generated during the night, and lessens pH fluctuations (CO2 causes a pH drop).

Xenomorph25

So, on my way home from the office, I'm going to stop by the LFS and pick up something to kill the anemone... I don't have the parts or the knowhow to create the Anemone-Prod.

Anyone have any experience with Aiptasia-X on Majano? From what I've read it should work in the same manner... Or negative effects using lemon/lime and a needle?

Should I just turkey baster the crap out of the guy until he's gone? I don't want a piece of him to reconstitue into growth somewhere else...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've killed lots of them with Aiptasia-X. It may require a second dose but it works. I like Aiptasia-X as it stays pretty much where you put it. Turn off any flow first. I've only used that and Joe's Juice (drifts too much). Joe's is OK if you have no other corals close to or under the Majano.

Don't blast him apart - supposedly they can regenerate from pieces of flesh - might make it worse!

By the way - the electric device is made and sold by Paul B. He's getting a patent on it. If I made my own I'd probaby be dead now LOL!

Last edited:

Xenomorph25

Did not blast him apart.

Decided to get Aiptasia-RX, as it was what the LFS had. Worked like a charm.

It shriveled up, I removed any excess RX that may have missed the target, or fallen off, and let it be for 30 minutes.

Then I turned all of the pumps back on.

This morning I have no more Majano! Hopefully those mushrooms around where the Majano died will fully recover!

Xenomorph25

So, my little Clown has decided to host my Cort Coral!

My wife loves to see him rubbing up and swimming in the stalks... Does anyone have any bad experiences with this not helping the Cort Coral?

My Xenia are staying pretty much pouty... they stay shriveled, I think due to the fish swimming around it.

Green star Polyps are opening up quite well!

My green wrasse picked at my toadstool today... I think he was curious. Hope he doesn't maintain that curiosity... the toadstool didn't like getting nipped.

Xenomorph25

Does anyone out there have Cort Coral? I've got a relatively large couple of stalks and a little clown who has taken to hosting it!

I'm slightly worried that he will bug the Coral too much, and it won't be able to breath, so to speak...

Anyone have any issues with this? Or is Colt Coral tough enough?