Votes: 27 54.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie97L

boozeman said:
Stingray city in Grand Cayman...I went there a few years ago, it is a place about 5 miles off shore resting on a large sand bar. The water is about chest high and dozens of rays come up to you to be petted and fed. At the time the only rules that were given to turists were a. shuffle your feet as you walk. b.Don't stick out your thumb while holding the piece of squid(used to feed the rays). I don't know if things have changed..found their website..
www.stingraycitytrips.com

that's true. however... according to the articles i read, the bull ray that stung him was 2.5m (~8/5') across and about 220 lbs. the average tourist will NEVER run across a ray that big, as they tend to hang out where a lot of sharks are. the bay in australia where he was filming was heavily populated with tiger sharks and very large rays.

also, i think we have to take into account that as much of an american public figure irwin was, he's a foreigner. people in other countries (in my experience) tend to clamp down harder on this kind of thing, than americans do. sure, his wife was american born, but she's basically australian now. persons in other countries just aren't as keyed into drama/gore as we are, and free speech isn't QUITE the same elsewhere as it is here. the press has leeway, but ultimately, most places, the government can intervene on something like this.

i would doubt it'll ever be released, as is correct, especially if his wife is making the call. i think they might show SOME footage from the shoot, but not his death. doubtless it will be destroyed, and since the people he worked with were all like family, it's unlikely any of them would sell it out for a quick buck. again, that's more of an american sensibility. besides, it would tarnish or destroy many people's fond memories of him. it's traumatic enough that he died working, we don't have to see it in grisly detail.

on a side note, about the free speech thing. i remember the whole google/microsoft china/reporting search results to the govt. and a guy in congress said "that's violating the basic human right to free speech"... it's an american right, not human. in america, we may have a right to know/see/hear, but other countries aren't run the same way.

Craig Manoukian

I am so confused. We have billions of dollars spent on movies and television programs that have oodles of violence, degenerative and adulteress sex, etc. Why do we focus on bashing a real life event and not the trash I described above?

I am not for for any of this garbage and agree that the family should determine the release of Steve's death and only if put in the context of preventing a similar accident.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Craig Manoukian said:
I am so confused. We have billions of dollars spent on movies and television programs that have oodles of violence, degenerative and adulteress sex, etc. Why do we focus on bashing a real life event and not the trash I described above?

Differentiating between fiction and fact is the key. I am not an advocate of violent/horror type movies (in fact I do not watch them); but there is a huge difference between watching a film filled with actors and a film with a real-life trauma situation.

blue_eyes53813

I dont think anybody is bashing anybody.. Its opinions on what and if they should show of the tape..

I agree with Woodstock that it is a fact film and if anybody would want to see him be stung/cut and than die...

I see it as everybody knows Steve as a friend or family member and it would be hard to see the incident.. I wouldnt beable to watch a family member die/suffer over and over on a tape. The movies arent real most of the time and those people go home to a happy life after all is done..

My reply above still stands.. It should and will be up to the family,, But I bet they will cut the actual incident out.

I say let the family grieve and remember him as his spunky croc guy that he was..

Charlie97L

Woodstock said:
Differentiating between fiction and fact is the key. I am not an advocate of violent/horror type movies (in fact I do not watch them); but there is a huge difference between watching a film filled with actors and a film with a real-life trauma situation.

i totally agree, woody. the only horro movies i enjoy are ones that are flagrantly fantasy, like vampire/werewolf/monster, etc.

i do not enjoy homocidal radition-poisoned people going berserk, or anything of that ilk.

i, too, have been disturbed by the recent trend of reality tv. i feel most people are watching to see others get put down. for instance, american idol. the first season, it was about the singing. now it's about seeing who gets the harshest rejection each week. there are some exceptions, obviously, i think project runway gives good positive criticisms, and obviously like, trading spaces is good, but the major network reality stuff really bothers me. i blame mtv and the real world. :)

LisaB

It would be in extremely poor taste to show it. The only reason is morbid curiousity, and that's not a very good reason unless you're trying to make $$$.

The sad thing is that some people do "want" to see it.

Well, I want to see Takeshi Kaneshiro in my bubble bath, but that doesn't mean I need to or deserve to. Steve may have been a showboater, but I think he deserves better than to be the shock video of the moment.

As for Terri and the kids, what do you think they will decide? Would YOU want your husband/father's final moments to be fodder for the morbidly and idly curious?

Witfull

for those that dont know Takeshi Kaneshiro, you may have seen is most famous US movie, House of the Flyng Daggers. if you havent seen it and subtitles dont bother you, watch it, its awesome.

house-of-flying-daggers_2.jpg

mps9506

LisaB said:
Would YOU want your husband/father's final moments to be fodder for the morbidly and idly curious?

I'd be seriously hurt if people wanted to watch my mom or signifcant others death on film.

FWIW I think Boomer hit the nail on the head in his earlier post.

Cartman89

I really think it should be released. Think about it, if you died right now wouldn't one of your last request want to be done? I know if I died and I wanted people to see me die I wouldn't want the video to kept in a safe, I would want it shown. I know it's wrong and we shouldn't see it but look at 9/11. I see tons of 9/11 videos on tv that shows people commiting sucide from the tower and they never pulled that off the air. Shouldn't we not even air that? That's very wrong what we do but hey we do it anyways. I think the video should be sent out for a "learning" experience NOT a "Lets make money" thing.
Just my .02

mps9506

Cartman89 said:
I really think it should be released. Think about it, if you died right now wouldn't one of your last request want to be done? I know if I died and I wanted people to see me die I wouldn't want the video to kept in a safe, I would want it shown. I know it's wrong and we shouldn't see it but look at 9/11. I see tons of 9/11 videos on tv that shows people commiting sucide from the tower and they never pulled that off the air. Shouldn't we not even air that? That's very wrong what we do but hey we do it anyways. I think the video should be sent out for a "learning" experience NOT a "Lets make money" thing.
Just my .02

I don't think his request literally meant, "I want the world to see me die on film." I think it meant if and when he died, he wanted to be doing what he loved to do, filming and interacting with wildlife.
I don't think there is anything to learn by watching the tape. It was a freak accident. Out of respect for his close friends and family I wouldn't push for the release of the tape. If they want the world to see it, then that is their choice, but I think it sucks that anyone would pressure them to release the tape if they didn't want it shown or to see it for themselves. One could only imagine the pain of seeing a loved one die, then see it broadcast on TV and the internet over and over again.

Witfull

this is my final thought on this.

how many people here have lost a loved one or friend? how many have seen some one die? how many have seen someone die tragically? violently?

well i can answer yes to each question. i dont want to to see it...yet i do in my head when it comes to the forfront. it brings all the love and regret and loss to such an emotional head, as if its happening again. i know everyone will lose a loved one, but i pray you never have to see tragedy. for those that have, especially our members of the Armed Services, im there with you, and share what is inside.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I can't believe this thread is still active. He's dead. Enjoy the re-runs and just remember him for the great person he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.